Double Glazing - Differences in Window Quality and Companies

I expressed myself poorly. What I meant was that the original wooden frame had been cut up in its removal so they were left with a large hole - their solution was to install the overtall new window by removing a course of bricks below the existing window. Hence, at present we have an incomplete job, whilst manufacturing a replacement window.

I'm reasonably happy with the rest of the work to date. There is a snagging list though. To be fair to the guys, they worked damned hard in dreadful weather conditions. One day, there were three of them all on the windows. The weather started out wet and drizzly but got gradually worse during the day. Luckily no wind so we didn't get water into the house. Initially they started out dressed in normal overalls but by the end of the day, they looked as if they were helping Noah out to get the last few animals on the Ark. They looked like fishermen dressed for the most foul weather in the North Atlantic!

The snagging list includes not putting little plastic covers over the screwheads to the handles of the opening lights on our bay window - I failed to notice this as well at the time and I'm not critical of their failure to notice it. Around the patio door, they failed to make good some mortar which came out as they removed the original aluminium d/g units - they were fixed into wooden wedges between the bricks, (I expect this to be addressed when mortar is prepared for replacing the course of bricks). One opening light is not screwed in properly and needs adjusting. On several of the opening lights, when opening or closing the key in the lock just clips the fixed frame.

There was little damage to make good to the interior after they finished - apart from one window cill that had been split, (I chose to retain the wooden cills by preference). They were extremely good with dust sheets. I was disappointed that they wrenched out one of two hanging basket brackets off the wall damaging it and the face of the brickwork, (made good later without a comment from me to persuade them to do it - I know it's there but to be honest I doubt anyone else does - like where you didn't quite get some decorating to your satisfaction and it always catches your eye!).

The gap between the windows and the brickwork has been foam filled but there is no silicone sealant on the outside. Everest also did not do this when we had our front door replaced many moons ago, though a local d/g company did that when doing our back door. I shall be chasing this aspect. I am concerned that water could get between the frame and the brickwork.

Overall, perhaps 7/10, but the proof of the pudding will only be revealed with time!

Your interest? Are you awaiting an installation from Zenith?

Reply to
clot

Aha.

See my other thread. I have Anglian and they are corroding like hell. I want something that will last and I'm looking at the alternatives. Any input is welcome.

Reply to
Mike Barnard

Me, a bastard? Sir, I am UTTERLY a bastard when I have to be, so a little practice now and then is allowed, no?

:-)

Reply to
Mike Barnard