Double glazied wondow - handles

I've just looked around a rental property and some (most) of the windows wouldn't open.

1) "pushing" the button in didn't release the lock and I suggested that this meant they were broken. The agent suggested that they were locked, but ISTR that if they are locked the button won't push in - is this right?

2) If they are broken, is there an easy way of removing them without destroying the window. The lower screw is inaccessible when the handle is in the closed position.

I assume that there is a standard fitting inside the window for them to screw into. I have found replacement parts on t' net.

.The landlord seemed to want to keep his property in good repair and I think he could be persuaded to fix this problem if it wasn't too costly.

TIA

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Oh bugger. I wish I had spell checked the title properly!

(I think you know what I mean)

Reply to
tim.....

Some of the windows I have seen, where the button has the key-hole in, have it the other way round, the button is out when the window is unlocked, pressing it in (Where it then stays in) locks it.

I would think having opening windows may well be a saftey issue in the case of a fire, so the landlord may have to fix them if they are broken!

Reply to
Toby

This is not how these particular ones were. Some of the windows work, in that pushing the button releases the catch and the handle will turn.

Almost none of the handles were fully working, the most common fault being that the button did not "pop" back out when the handle is returned to the closed position, and it remained in an unlockable state (but as no key is provided this isn't really an issue).

This is possibly a BR requirement but I have seen lots of houses converted in a way that breaches this and no-body checks and the penalty is bugger all. I wonder if the fact that it is a rental means that this is different

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Cut the turning handle off with an angle grinder. Replacement locking handles are only =A36 apx a go. Thats well within negotiation range.

NT

Reply to
meow2222