door to door salespests

a nice suggestion I just saw:

"Say that the judge made it very clear they?re not allowed to talk to people from charities any more. Not after last time."

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Lol..

Reply to
Tjoepstil

One advantage of living on a rural trunk road with no pavements or lights is we don?t get door to door sales pests :)

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

We found their number reduced greatly after small but clear "No Cold Caller" signs above letterbox and bell-push. Sellers don't want to waste their time and charities are fearful of even tighter regulation. Indeed, the only charity agent who rang the door last year blanched, apologised profusely and almost cried when I pointed out the sign.

It doesn't stop the Seven Day Adventists though.

Reply to
Robin

We get many more charity collectors knocking on our door than sales people.

Any tips for those?

PS: I never let any of them finish their sentence, and simply close the door immediately, so we are certainly not on the "soft target" list.

Reply to
JoeJoe

alk to people from charities any more. Not after last time."

Someone once told me that when the JW visited they got their kid to shout o ut from another room, mum the waters too hot, to which mum replied shut up and get back in teh saucepan I'm hungry, she was 'gothed' up at the time re ady to go out. although I wouldn't try such a thing in case socail services got called and turn up 6 months later ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com presented the following explanation :

I just have a laminated note on the garden gate, with something like...

No chuggers, No leaflets, No sales people. Below that it says dogs loose. It mostly works effectively, the dogs take care of the rest.

We get a lot of them, because it is a street with short distances to the front door and large rear gardens.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

10% of our callers use the bell push. The rest just knock.
Reply to
Jethro_uk

And then leave a card saying " we couldn't deliver your parcel" or words to that effect.

Reply to
charles

perhaps we get a better class of callers who can read (and so see the sign "above letterbox" before knocking)

Reply to
Robin

alk to people from charities any more. Not after last time."

"please no political callers no charity callers thank you"

it seems to work 100%

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Why do they do that? I can't here a knock on the door from my desk but one of the doorbell chimes is just outside the room I work in.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

The favourite around my way is for the Royal Mail person to put a card through saying that the package is too large for the letter box. On visiting the depot to pick it up I find that my 'package' consists of a number of small jiffy bags held together with an elastic band. Each of the jiffy bags would easily fit my letter box but the the delivery person is too lazy and/or thick to remove the elastic band hence the combined package is too large. It must take the delivery person longer to write out the card than to actually remove the band.

I had to collect yet another of these combined packages yesterday.

I do wonder if it is a deliberate policy to ensure enough people use the depot in order to keep it open. The actually sorting of letters is no longer performed at the depot - that functionality has been centralised

40 miles away.
Reply to
alan_m

that always bloody annoys me

there's a reason there's a bell on my door

it's cos I can't hear people knocking

Reply to
tim...

Same here. Knocks on the door are rarely heard becaise of the layour of the house, but the doorbell sounds in any room (and optionally in the garden).

I do put 'ring bell' on delivery instructions, and I'm having a brass plate made with similar instructions on it.

Reply to
Bob Eager

AK47 door bell system - Colin Furze

Adrian Caspersz

HTH

Reply to
tim...

There are probably cheaper ways to waste money.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

As I have said upthread, when challenged, the only answer I have got is "sometimes they don't work".

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Or, or course some aid/adaptation to assist a deaf person.

I've got some odd, quite tight range PIR lights knocking around. Maybe a winter project is a PIR doorbell substitute.

Reply to
Jethro_uk