Door furniture

I want to get some new door furniture for my front door. Are the holes for the key and handles a standard distance apart?

Reply to
Huge

Depends on the lock. You need to identidy that and to then work backwards.

There seem to be a few standard sizes of case and spacings.

Reply to
Andy Hall

OK, thanks, now I know they aren't standard, I know what to look for, rather than just ordering what looks nice.

Reply to
Huge

no. Maybe take the old one with you, leaving someone at home to guar the door.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 02:05:48 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@care2.com mused:

Just to clarify, just take the lock, not the front door. ;)

Reply to
Lurch

Why not just take the outside door handle with you. You can then use it to get back in when you come back. Incidentally, most of the modern mortice locks are the same size, so chances are you will be OK. Calum Sabey NewArk Traditional Kitchens 01556 690544

Reply to
calums

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 03:39:05 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" mused:

I don't want a new lock so no need for me to dismantle my front door.

Thanks all the same.

Reply to
Lurch

Yes, but there are several "standards", depending on the shape of the keyhole. Trad mortice locks will be one, Euro cylinders another.

Before WW1 it was much less standard.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Yes - but there are several standards.