Does DIY include making Xmas puddings?

Fortunately not in Xmas Puds but it was a bit overpowering in some savoury dishes!

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

As a child, yes, I'd eat almost anything and be grateful!

Reply to
Capitol

Cement mixer? Just feed it brandy with the hose, makes it extra moist.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Personally I dislike the sage and onion more. Homemade is almost as easy as the packet one. I find day-old white bread fairly easy to crumble by hand, and the work of seconds in a blender. Don't include the crust, and only use wholemeal if making material for structural repair where foam is not strong enough.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

My local small supermarket usually has too many and they are reduced for quick sale between Boxing day and new year for almost nothing.

Xmas puds are loss leaders for all the supermarkets. They usually have a special price during the first week of december and unless they win the 'best pud' award that various papers indulge in, sometimes revert to the special low price before Xmas. Any left will be really cheap after and the higher-alcohol versions will keep for ages.

Reply to
Andrew

Your typical gen X or Y doesn't really understand the concept of power tools, never mind proper stuff like planes, chisels and oil-based paint.

I blame non-diy modern cars. A lot of people started DIY after having to fix their own car.

Reply to
Andrew

Next time send them one made to the old-fashioned recipe, using proper minced meat.:-) (Or send them a proper haggis).

Reply to
Andrew

That may be more to do with Usenet than diy.

what happened to making gokarts with pramwheels and a plank?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

a) today's pram wheels (i.e. buggy wheels) are too small b) parents buy their kids expensive battery powered miniature versions of cars driven by grown-ups c) kids are too busy with tablets etc and soshul meeja to bother

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Ors stick and tissue model aeroplanes or meccano?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Computers, xboxes, wee etc. Plus safety concerns.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

A radio control aeroplane was a rare thing in the 60's around our way, a teacher at a local prep school had one but it was always escaping. On it was painted a phone number and the offer of £3 if it was returned. Farmer freind on seeing it passing uttered "that bloody plane again, I'm not having him flattening the crop fetching it again and promptly brought it down with his shotgun. Owner came out as before after being contacted and was most distressed when he saw the remains, Harold wouldn't let him have them till he got the £3 though.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg