Does decent quality carpet make a good foundation for brickwork?!

I went recently to see a woman who has a modern garage that's built on a hi ll so the inside of the garage is a lot taller than would normally be the c ase.

You go in through the up and over door and at the back of the garage the do or to go to the house it probably 1.5 metres above the floor level of the g arage.

She got someone to build her a mezzanine type floor that covers about one t hird of the garage so when entering it from the back door there is an area full of worktop with room for appliances under it and a ramp down to the lo wer area.

Anyway, this mezzanine area is built on brick piers and wooden support post s and seems quite well done BUT she had a bit of a water leak from the wash ing machine's supply pipe and it soaked the carpet that's on the lower floo r under the mezzanine and asked me to remove the soaked and festering carpe t.

It was at this point that I discovered the mezzanine's brick piers and wood en posts HAD BEEN BUILT ON TOP OF THE CARPET!!!!!! So to remove the carpet I had to cut around all the posts and the brick piers, which was not at all easy with soaked carpet!

Reply to
Murmansk

I'm no expert but i.m going with "no".

Reply to
R D S

hill so the inside of the garage is a lot taller than would normally be the case.

door to go to the house it probably 1.5 metres above the floor level of the garage.

third of the garage so when entering it from the back door there is an are a full of worktop with room for appliances under it and a ramp down to the lower area.

sts and seems quite well done BUT she had a bit of a water leak from the wa shing machine's supply pipe and it soaked the carpet that's on the lower fl oor under the mezzanine and asked me to remove the soaked and festering car pet.

oden posts HAD BEEN BUILT ON TOP OF THE CARPET!!!!!! So to remove the carpe t I had to cut around all the posts and the brick piers, which was not at a ll easy with soaked carpet!

You see many buildings which are built on piles.

(Probably not quite the same sort, I admit.)

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Short answer - NO !

Long answer - ^%$& NO !

Reply to
soup

hill so the inside of the garage is a lot taller than would normally be the case.

door to go to the house it probably 1.5 metres above the floor level of the garage.

third of the garage so when entering it from the back door there is an are a full of worktop with room for appliances under it and a ramp down to the lower area.

sts and seems quite well done BUT she had a bit of a water leak from the wa shing machine's supply pipe and it soaked the carpet that's on the lower fl oor under the mezzanine and asked me to remove the soaked and festering car pet.

oden posts HAD BEEN BUILT ON TOP OF THE CARPET!!!!!! So to remove the carpe t I had to cut around all the posts and the brick piers, which was not at a ll easy with soaked carpet!

For wood it's fine, the carpet can be ignored, fixings go straight through it. But brickwork? Er, no.

NT

Reply to
Nick Cat

X Perhasp it was intended as a "damp course"? ;-)

Reply to
charles

Blimey, was the company called Bodgit and Run by any chance?. I would say that this could result in a few years in at the very least cracks,and at worst, partial collapse. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

I guess its a job needing jacks and some kind of cement to make up the difference. Without knowing how many piers and wooden supports, what the weight of the floor is etc, its hard to be of much use. Either way, it would need depopulating of stuff, and maybe disassembly of the new floor and re fixing of the bricks and wood, then a floor relay and some way to fix the differences in height, though small you may be left with otherwise. Lets hope the ramp is not built on lino.....

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

replying to Murmansk, Jen wrote: Having a carpet as the base for a brickwork isn't that necessary. You can start out with the built itself.

Reply to
Jen