Does a DAB radio track stations as you move?

The message from Huge contains these words:

I'd be quite content if I could buy a radio cheaper than usual because it has no variable tuning, just locked to R4.

Reply to
Guy King

However, if it's at a time 10 years in the future, when a cheap 'new' DAB set is a tenner, and there is little premium over FM, I suspect you'd be less bothered.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Same here. Not just for my Pure Evoke but for my Woodstock car radio.

Reply to
Howard Neil

Except that DAB's rather freer with the gratuitous expletives than Dribble, when the argument's not going his way.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Ah, if that's the timescale you're talking about, you'd be right.

Reply to
Huge

I wouldn't. I dislike radio plays and I *LOATHE* The Archers.

Reply to
Huge

The message from Huge contains these words:

Oh, I have an OFF switch.

Reply to
Guy King

Thanks to all for the comments - interesting reading and sounds like my needs will be better served with an ordinary FM RDS radio... anyone recommendations for a small portable FM RDS radio ?

Thanks

Nick

Reply to
Nick

Yes, and if SWMBO likes listening to Geordie Ruth and all is peaceful it would be churlish to deny that ;-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

Ohhhhh noooooooo

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

Grace, don't go back into the barn...

Reply to
Guy King

"oh ner"

Reply to
Steve Firth

My advice would be to go for the DAB portable - unless you're going to run it on batteries. The sound quality will be fine for a portable.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Speaking as a radio three pedant....

Although it is still called radio three the channel is now used for material that would previously have been broadcast radio 2. I feel that now radio 3 is the only 'high sound quality' DAB channel there is more justification for using it in this way. It's bit like the old "music programme" which was broadcast on the third proigramme on in the evenings in the fiftes(?).

Incidentally, while I am rambling on, radio 3 DAB has mostly given up using true stereo but uses the much inferior 'joint stereo' instead. I guess they have done this in order to get a less distorted sound at the cost of a stereo image. I am happy with this, but it means that the only place to find true stereo broadcasting is on FM.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Laws

There's one exception to this. The Digital One mux (that carries the national commercial radio services) uses a different frequency in Scotland, and doesn't broadcast at all in Northern Ireland. However some of the D1 stations are available on the regional NI Mux

Reply to
markcarve

In article , Robert Laws writes

Quite..

UK DAB is a piss poor implementation of a digital radio system.

The only people who get this right and worthy of calling it a decent system are the Germans on their satellite transmissions, where the broadcast quality is excellent:-))

And France Musique isn't that bad either, but its only 256 K/Bits;)

Reply to
tony sayer