Do you have a pressure washer?

Looking or a basic pressure washer and the Bosch entry level only comes with a "fixed fan lance". Some of the higher end (or cheap brands) bundle other attachements, but I don't know how important they are. Vacuum cleaner extra attachements are essential...

Those of you who use a pressure washer, do you use the 'extra' bits?

TIA Suzanne

Reply to
Suz

Personally I wouldn't use the fixed lance I have with mine on my car as it would be too powerful. Although in theory you could just take a step back away from the car to reduce the pressure.

Mine also comes with a rotary attachment. I've tried it a couple of times but found a hand wash produces better results with less effort.

has some good facts about pressure washers.

Steven.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

A variable lance is useful if cleaning patios because you can use the 'pencil' jet to clean really stubborn bits. Worth having. Rotary jet lance (a spinning pencil jet) is also useful for patio cleaning.

Don't be influenced by the Bosch brand, the machines I'd guess are made by FIAP in Italy, although that's not a bad brand. Sticking to a 'name' is a good idea because of parts (like hoses) in the future.

The brushes are of limited use, don't help much when cleaning cars. Domestic machines simply don't have the power to run drain jets & sandblasters.

I have a heavy duty industrial machine. The only extras I use are the drain jet (my machine does have the power to run it) and a patio cleaning head.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

But be very careful, it's powerful and can cut through some materials, including soft stone and even concrete.

eh?

We bought one years ago from B&Q I think, we've never needed to replace parts.

Oh - ours does. Not that we clean the car much :-)

We haven't a patio and have never needed to unblock drains (and certainly not sand blast) but it's worth remembering if ever we do, thanks.

Which reminds me that it's very useful for cleaning paintwork prior to re-painting but not for simple cleaning. It can remove loose paint beautifully.

Reminder - don't use the jet on soft materials or the car unless you want to etch a design ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Wouldn't be much fun with just a hose end - I use all five attachments on ours, the main rotary brushy bit obviously, the long skinny bit for along the skirting, the wee round brush for picture rails, the stair thingy and a mini rotary for the car. Wouldn't buy a hoover without any of these, except maybe the car bit.

Reply to
Suz

[snips]

Don't let the kids use it unless they're older than about 45.

They *will* make swirly clean patterns in the patina of paving stones and will probably write their names, which at least makes identifying the culprit easier.

BTW Sainsbury's at the White Rose Centre was selling them off (Red Devil brand) at £9.99 on Friday this week. Pretty good that since it's not that long ago a decent quality 13A plug was £2.50.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

I have a Kartcher washer which I bought from B&Q getting on for 10 years ago. The pressure hose has a bayonet connector immediately after the trigger, into which various attachments can be plugged. It came with a lance, detergent dispenser and car brush. I have subsequently bought a rotating brush and a long nozzle for washing the underside of cars.

I *mainly* use the lance - for patio cleaning. As others have said, a fixed car washing brush is a waste of space - no better than a brush on the end of a normal hose. I do find the detergent dispenser and rotary brush quite useful for caravan washing - not that I do that very often. I can't quite remember why I bought the under-car nozzle - I think I've only ever used it once. [Actually, I could probably do the conservatory roof with it - there's a thought!]

If you *do* buy a machine with a fixed lance, you *may* subsequently be able to replace the pressure hose with one which accepts accessories - but the end result would almost certainly be more expensive than getting one at the outset which comes bundled with all the bits you want.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Ours isn't a Hoover, can't remember what it is. It's an upright. He uses it. He does the stairs with a smaller cylinder. You're obviously far more houseproud than I am :-)

I used to be, then I discovered Life.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

LOL!

Yes, they always write their names in crayon on the walls. Or if they draw pictures it's at eye level.

We, of course, didn't make such mistakes :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I decided that I'm glad we haven't a patio.

Then I realised that we have a hard area at the back, we call it 'the upper terrace' :-)

I sweep it with a brush from time to time, no point in doing more because the hens would immediately leave their signatures ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Or we only made them once :-(

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I bought the red devil brand from Argos. Unfortunately it packed in on its first outing. The second one done the same. I eventually bought the one Lidl do every now and then and can't fault it.

Steven.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

That was typical of all the *Red Devil* stuff, it wasnt long before stockist dropped the range from sales.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Heh! I thought it would have been better giving it away free with every

50GBP you spend at the till.
Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I bought the cheapest one I could see in the shops about 5 years ago, a no-name from Woolworths. IIRC, it was under £50. It turned out to be a DeltaJet Pro 1200 by Lavorwash. It gets quite a bit of use, and works fine. It is used with the water from my waterbut, which is a bit cloudly/sandy just after rain, so I'm surprised it's lasted so long.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Nah! Nothing on a domestic machine can be described as powerful! Not when you have used a 200bar @ 20 lpm machine driven by a 13hp Honda. Now that is powerful!

:-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Ah, I hear the voice of experience!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You can willy wave as much as you like but I have the evidence to prove my point :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Prove your "point", eh?