DIY Property Ladder

I wonder if this is legal. The guy says there's a loophole.

Reply to
Ottavio Caruso

Skips are often, though not always, placed on the highway. For that, there has to be a temporary permit issued by the local authority.

Skips on other land are usually permitted by the landowner who is the one having work done. But since in this case there is no work being done, one has to assume that the quoted £50 a month is being paid as rent to the landowner.

Band A for Council Tax?

And how does he manage for fuel supplies, water and sewerage?

Reply to
JNugent

I would think knot

Reply to
maus

central london is a skip

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

It could be a caravan, which neatly sidesteps building regs. Planning permission seems to be a bit of grey area - permanent static caravans need planning permission, but temporary ones might not. As long as he keeps moving it to a new site every few years, and stays away from conservation areas, it might be legal. Of course a conventional caravan would allow the same loophole, but wouldn't get featured on youtube.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Humphrey

I would have thought that a caravan needed wheels.

I was under the impression there is a 28 day limit for temporary structures, after which they need planning permission.

A 20ft shipping container might and would provide more useful space.

Reply to
Colin Bignell