DIY Juliet balcony

Ok.

I noticed the pipework and assumed it was a work in progress.

No having raised ground outside is good if you decide you want a conservatory. We have a raised patio and looked at a conservatory, the foundations were going to cost a fortune.

Reply to
Brian Reay

That's kind of you, thanks. I'm currently trying ImgBB, but if that doesn't prove OK I'll certainly take up your offer.

Reply to
Bert Coules

That had occurred to me but for reasons I don't now recall I moved away from the idea. But it's definitely a possibility and I'll look at it again. Thanks.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Added expense aside, that's a very good thought. Thanks.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Sorry about that: mental confusion on my part between compression and capillary fittings.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Surely if the amount of land outside of the patio door is too narrow for steps then its also too narrow for a raised patio where you would normally place seating with which to overlook your neighbours?

Reply to
alan_m

The land is too narrow *now* yes. It didn't use to be, but once the patio was abandoned plans for the garden changed, and said plans now incorporate a slightly raised planting area which is already pretty much in place and which I don't want to change.

It's this which now restricts the space and prevents straight-out steps, hence the idea of the Juliet balcony. But - as has been suggested - it doesn't necessarily prevent a short narrow (600 - 700mm?) landing which would run alongside the house leading to steps descending in the same direction. This has become a distinct possibility.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Please explain the term 'Juliet Balcony'. It's obviously one that Romeo has to climb down from, but what other features does it have?

Reply to
charles

I had in mind a substantial input from scavenged pallets. But then I have exceedingly low standards ;)

Reply to
Robin

The merest Google image search will provide you with the answer, but to save you the effort, try this:

From which you'll see that a Juliet balcony isn't actually a balcony at all.

Reply to
Bert Coules

just a guard rail