DIY Juliet balcony

Thanks for that; I'll take a look.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Many thanks to Jeff Layman for pointing me to a new hosting site. Here's a picture, but I'm not sure that it's terribly helpful:

.

Reply to
Bert Coules

That is a BIG drop to ground / patio- I was wondering why you wanted/need the balcony but now I understand ;-)

Reply to
Brian Reay

Dropbox, decent non ad plastered display of the photos and a decent UI from a decent smartphone.

Reply to
Ray

Thanks for that. I'm experimenting with ImgBB but I'll look at Dropbox too.

Reply to
Bert Coules

It's almost exactly 600mm. The original plan was to have a patio raised to that height (at the left of the pic you can see the elevated drainage point for the guttering downpipe, which still has to be changed) and I do actually have planning permission for that, but there are privacy issues with my neighbours.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Yup.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks for confirming that. I seem to recall that the regs actually specify a precise force or stress which a Juliet balcony has to be able to resist, but I've no idea how this is tested in practice - and since I still haven't had the building work signed off, it will be examined once finished. Perhaps the BCO throws her- or himself at the thing and simply see what happens.

Reply to
Bert Coules

It not much the height of the drop but how likely it is for someone to make the fall. Without your Juliet balcony people are likely to see the drop in front of them and make allowances to either prepare to jump down or stay clear. With a Juliet balcony the only assumption they will will make is that it is strong enough and well secured to support them leaning on it. If it then gives way the resulting fall is likely to be more serious because i) it's unexpected, and ii) more likely to go arse over tit at the start of the fall.

Isn't there a UK building regulation that applies to a step height outside of a ground floor opening door? 600mm seems excessive. Rather than a Juliet balcony consider steps outside of the patio door which also has the benefit of being a means of easy escape in the event of a fire.

Reply to
alan_m

Pardon me, but what is the point if its not actually going to be used as a balcony? It kind of then becomes more of a canopy or awning, however proper balconies need planning permission around here, as there have been nasty accidents in the past by people bodging them and or annoying neighbours. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

In this case the patio door has been installed 7 brick courses above ground level and with the door threshold being around 2 brick courses higher. Step over the threshold and there is a big drop.

Reply to
alan_m

Who installs a patio door that doesn't lead to a patio, or even just a step down to the ground? (Brian Reay obviously.)

(He does sort of explain it; something about the privacy of his neighbour that I don't quite understand. If he can't at least put in some steps down to ground level he'll have to consider replacing the patio door with a normal window, or, failing that, a full width Juliet.)

Reply to
Max Demian

The original plan was for a patio at the same height as the internal floor, that's to say approximately 600mm above ground level, which is why the patio door was installed. The patio has now been decided against, because the neighbours objected to the fact that anyone standing or even sitting on a chair on it would have clear views over the six foot fence not only into their garden but also (because they also have patio doors) into their adjoining semi-detached property.

While it's true that my planning permission includes such a patio, I prefer a quiet and peaceful life, and the raised patio was never that close to my heart in any case. But the patio door gives a splendid view and allows a lot of light so I don't want to replace it with a window. And while there was room for a patio (with steps at one end) there isn't really adequate space for a simple straight-out set of steps.

Hence the Juliet balcony. Is that any clearer, Max?

Reply to
Bert Coules

I have had a bit of experience when I was working, making and installing steelwork balconies at various heights. There were held by something like 20mm rebar type bolts with resin into the side of the building. the handrailing and glass was installed later.

But I persdonally wouldn't faff around trying to make some similar now, I'd but something already made up and ready to go.

That way, you can be sure of a decent job, and would comply with building regs.

But at the end of the day it's your choice.

Reply to
RobH

This is on the ground floor but the drop to the outside level is 600mm. I do have planning permission for a raised patio but have decided against it, and there isn't really space for straightforward steps. Hence the Juliet balcony.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Thanks for that, RobH. Buying something ready-made seems to be the general advice.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Put them on the DIY wiki if you want. Drop me an email if you don't already have and account and I will create one for you.

Reply to
John Rumm

Could you not add steps instead?

Reply to
John Rumm

That answered the question I posted earlier - sorry did not read far enough before commenting.

Could you do steps that immediately turn and run parallel to the door, rather than away from it?

Reply to
John Rumm

I'd wondered that and FWIW if it might be worth trying it in timber/board rather than going straight to a hard (and hard to modify or remove) solution.

Reply to
Robin