DIY Juliet balcony

I'm thinking of installing a Juliet balcony across a patio door (overall width 2300mm, one sliding opening). Is it practical to fit the railings only across the opening half, leaving the fixed half unobscured? Presumably
this would entail securing one end of the metal work to the central vertical strut of the patio doors: is that a possibility? The door is coated aluminium rather than uPVC.
Also, it would be pleasant to construct the balcony myself, though I have very little experience with large-scale iron work and welding. Are there components or kits available for this sort of thing?
Alternatively, I wonder about using copper plumbing tubing and fittings: 22mm tube for the horizontals, 15mm for the verticals, T pieces to join them together. I can't decide if the result would look pleasingly industrial/quirky or just plain odd...
On 08/12/2019 14:13, Bert Coules wrote:

If you want it to be more than decorative then you need to secure it at both sides. You could, perhaps, run a long vertical in the centre, secured top and bottom, and then just have the 'balcony' across the part that opens. The vertical could be (largely) hidden from view from the inside by the door centre divider but it would, of course, be visible from outside. Perhaps paint the upper part the same colour as the frame so it was less obvious.
As for construction materials, I'd stay clear of copper. Remember, someone me lean against it. If you can't weld perhaps metal conduit. You can get a range of fittings and hire a threading tool. Painting copper well enough to survive the weather (without shedding paint) is another issue. The conduit tends to be zinc plated (at least the stuff I've seen) so use a suitable primer and clean it with acetone etc first.
As a general point, consider the impact on escape routes if there is a fire. Someone fit and able could probably climb over it but what about a someone with mobility issues?
Brian,
Thanks for the detailed reply. I like your idea of a long vertical strut attached to the brickwork at the top and bottom of the central vertical of the door rather than to the door itself. As you say, the visual impact would be almost zero from inside, and could be minimised outside.
I hadn't considered the escape route: there is a conventional door to the garden in the same L-shaped area, so presumably I'm covered on that score.
I take your points about copper pipework. The painting difficult had occurred to me, though with regard to safety I suspect that (especially with frequent soldered T-fittings) it would be sufficiently resistant to impacts to satisfy the building regs.
Thanks for the suggestions of alternative materials.
On 08/12/2019 14:55, Bert Coules wrote:

If you don't want it to be visible, use structural glass. Whatever you do, it needs to be properly fixed, so as to take the weight of a couple of people leaning heavily on it.
You didn't say which floor this is on?
"GB" wrote:

I take the point, but it still seems a pity to put anything across the fixed half of the door.

The ground floor, with a drop of 600mm to the ground.
On 08/12/2019 15:07, Bert Coules wrote:

It seems more of a pity to put something across the opening part of the doors!

Not far to fall, but even so.
Cantilever something out from under the door, presumably fixed to the floor joists. That will be the most attractive, but difficult to engineer.
Build something up from ground level. Possibly a raised patio with a railing.
Attach something to the house, both above and below the window. This means unattractive poles running up above the window.
Attach glass/perspex inside the house, across the opening portion of the doors.

"GB" wrote:

Agreed. But clearance outside for steps is very limited, and there is already a back door.

I had considered that, but the clearance problem also applies. I suppose a "patio" of just enough depth to act as a support for railings (say 150mm or even less?) would be a possibility

An interesting idea, but doesn't it involve the same problem of how to fix the edge of the material half-way across the width of the door?
On 08/12/2019 16:38, Bert Coules wrote:

Perhaps we need a photo of your doors?
"GB" wrote:

I used to post pics to Photobucket but had to stop when they introduced charges. I've been meaning for ages to look around to see if there are any alternative free image-hosting possibilities. Any suggestions?
On 08/12/19 18:15, Bert Coules wrote:

--

Jeff

Jeff Layman wrote:

Thanks for that; I'll take a look.

Dropbox, decent non ad plastered display of the photos and a decent UI from a decent smartphone.
Ray wrote:

Thanks for that. I'm experimenting with ImgBB but I'll look at Dropbox too.
On 08/12/2019 18:15, Bert Coules wrote:

Put them on the DIY wiki if you want. Drop me an email if you don't already have and account and I will create one for you.
--
Cheers,

John.
John Rumm wrote:

That's kind of you, thanks. I'm currently trying ImgBB, but if that doesn't prove OK I'll certainly take up your offer.
"GB" wrote:

Many thanks to Jeff Layman for pointing me to a new hosting site. Here's a picture, but I'm not sure that it's terribly helpful: https://ibb.co/rbvcGMD .
On 08/12/2019 18:45, Bert Coules wrote:

That is a BIG drop to ground / patio- I was wondering why you wanted/need the balcony but now I understand ;-)
Brian Reay wrote:

It's almost exactly 600mm. The original plan was to have a patio raised to that height (at the left of the pic you can see the elevated drainage point for the guttering downpipe, which still has to be changed) and I do actually have planning permission for that, but there are privacy issues with my neighbours.
On 08/12/2019 19:16, Bert Coules wrote:

Could you not add steps instead?
--
Cheers,

John.
On 08/12/2019 19:16, Bert Coules wrote:

Ok.
I noticed the pipework and assumed it was a work in progress.
No having raised ground outside is good if you decide you want a conservatory. We have a raised patio and looked at a conservatory, the foundations were going to cost a fortune.