DIY Helpless

Have you come across women who find it quite endearing that their partner is hopeless at anything DIY?

When I were a lad I felt a certain responsibility to be able to learn to decorate, change fuses, put up shelves, etc. Same with cars - change a wheel, change oil, etc.

Now one hears women talking of how hopeless their partner is in an endearing manner. ("He tried to fit a shelf ant it ended up costing us £300 because he drilled through the water pipe" - laughter all round!)

Regards

John

Reply to
DerbyBoy

Most of the "village blokes" I know round here are generally pretty handy - and know what they specifically don't like to do (eg a bloke I know is a genius with woodwork and building, but always calls in his sparky mate for electrics and won't touch gas or water either).

But we are talking about the 35+ age group. The younger ones I know (who are in London because I don't know many 20-somethings here) in seem to know rather less right down to being in that category you mentioned.

It's OK to be not very good at a fair few things, but to be completely useless at anything practical is rather sad.

Reply to
Tim Watts

It helps them feel equal to men because they can't do those things either. They probably can't cook, sew, knit, or plough either.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

They can go on a SlutWalk.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I have a slightly different problem. I can pretty much do most things around the house, leccy, plumbing, woodwork, bit of brickwork (crap at plastering). Why should I pay someone to do these things? Cos I can't be arsed to do it myself ;) And since I'm a tightarse I don't pay someone, so the odd sink tap which is hanging off will get sorted "sometime". :D

Reply to
brass monkey

Sounds familiar. It's the little things that don't get done - like changing a tap washer.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

The reason I leave the little jobs undone, is I'd rather know what she want done, than discover what's next on her secret list ! ;-)

Reply to
Andy Cap

The last great sin in this country is intelligence; young people particularly (I speak as a 37 YO!) seem to view knowing anything at all technical as risible.

Reply to
Scott M

I get called in for a lot of basic electric or plumbing jobs - changing light fittings & taps for example - for that very reason.

That I definitely agree with. 20-somethings seem to have no DIY skills whatsoever - apart from my daughters who are pretty capable.

There are a lot of people like that around - thankfully.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

And in the ever growing underclass intelligence itself is regarded as risible - instead of something to be proud of.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

'Projects' are much more interesting than 'little jobs' :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It's all part of the anti-man milieu that's become ubiquitious in the media and which, were the same things said about women or blacks, would lead to protests at best and prosecution at worst.

Reply to
Huge

On 05/06/2011 00:25, brass monkey wrote: (crap at plastering).

I believe plastering to be a dark art.

Guy

-- --------------------------------------------------------------------- Guy Dawson@SMTP - snipped-for-privacy@cuillin.org.uk // ICBM - 6.15.16W 57.12.23N 986M

4.4>5.4 4.4>5.4 4.4>5.4 The Reality Check's in the Post! 4.4>5.4 4.4>5.4
Reply to
Guy Dawson

It might also have something to do with the dire warnings and endless safety regulations introduced around every relatively simple activity. When every accident is interpreted as a risk to an entire population, with no weight given to the considerable benefits, then inevitably you end up with a populace scared to attempt anything new. We're paying a heavy price for crippling such natural curiosity.

Reply to
Andy Cap

It's part of the emascuation of men, following the 'families don't need fathers' fashion of a few years ago.

The attitude you mention above abounds on TV adverts.

One about dieting biscuits has a nicely-dressed wife/partner being ridiculed by her thick, slovenly husband/partner who proceeds to drop his jaw when he splatters ketchup all over his (unhealthy) fry up.

The TV series of Scott and Bailey is the same - the two female detective constables are portrayed as (heavy) drinkers and smokers, while the men in the series come across variously as thick, duplicitous, voilent, rapists, or murderers. When they need police assistance, it's the thick-as-a-brick male colleagues that supply it.

Perhaps the real reason women take the approach you mention is that it absolves them from knowing anything technical?

TF

Reply to
Terry Fields

And it makes it less likely that the unintelligent will remove themselves from the gene pool.

Reply to
Bob Eager

The secret list, yes!

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Indeed. You must have to sign a pact with the Devil.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

As necessity is the mother of invention, so affluence is the mother of ignorance.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Slot head, Phillips or Pozidriv?

Reply to