where to buy parts for hanging shelf

Hi, I'm constructing some shelves that will be supported by suspending them on wires. Very simple, (stranded) wire will run through the shelves at the corners and there will be a metal bead with a screw underneath each one for support and levelling. I'm looking for a suitable wire (picture wire seems a bit weak and is usually gold) and the beads-with-screw. I've seen these kinds of parts used in commercial displays but not sure if there is an official name etc.

TIA

Reply to
choco

Focus sell plastic coated multi-strand wire which sounds like it might be suitable. It's galvanised steel covered with transparent plastic, so it's appropriately industrial.

Reply to
Huge

A decent cycle shop will sell it by length off a reel. And should have the various nipples etc to do what you need. Bike brakes and gearchanges, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"choco" wrote | I'm constructing some shelves that will be supported by suspending | them on wires. Very simple, (stranded) wire will run through the | shelves at the corners and there will be a metal bead with a | screw underneath each one for support and levelling. I'm looking | for a suitable wire (picture wire seems a bit weak and is usually | gold) and the beads-with-screw. I've seen these kinds of parts | used in commercial displays but not sure if there is an | official name etc.

cable display seems to be the term but brings up a log of search result for poster and similar display rather than product display.

at 000153 bottom right.

in mind the Changing Rooms Teapot Disaster.

Q: What's your favorite Changing Rooms memory?

Carol: The one that sort of sticks out in my mind, we did two houses in two high-rise flats. And it was four women, really nice ladies, but one of them collected teapots. She wanted somewhere to display them all beautifully. And Linda Barker thought she would create this stunning- - STUNNING! - shelving unit with which to display them.

It was free standing and it was on wires suspended from floor to ceiling, which just seems madness to me. She thought it was going to be beautiful and Andy built it and he said when he built it, under no circumstances do you put anything other than the teapots on the shelves because they won't take the weight. The ways things turned out? we have lots of other people on the show who kind of help out, roll their sleeves up and, you know, run around and one of the young runners put a pile of books on the bottom shelf. And the whole lot - every single teapot in her lifetime collection - smashed and it was just awesome, really. (laughs) Linda was crying, and the girls were crying, and I was crying with laughter. And Andy was trying to look really horrified - well he was horrified because he knew he'd get the blame for it when in fact it wasn't his fault.

Owain

It's very unusual to find Bowden cable on a reel in bike shops these days - stainless tandem inner cables are probably the best bet for longer cables that look good, but they won't be cheap, and few bike shops will probably still stock solderless nipples. Chandlers are probably a better source of stainless multi-strand, but they won't have the sort of fittings that the OP wants.

Reply to
Rob Morley

It is also used by anglers for making wire traces to ctach conger eels etc as they have a fierce set of gnashers so an angling shop is another cource ...Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

I'd make sure that each wire was specified to be capable of carrying at least 5 times the total weight of the shelves, and actually test to double the weight. And put a sticker on them saying "max load xx" in case someone decides to put a fishtank on them.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Hi,

Flints sell steel and stainless wire in small lengths and sizes:

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C