DIY disaster pictures wanted

See John has morphed again...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yours, of course no longer exists, after you washed away the foundations with your episode of not knowing how to join plastic pipes properly. And this from someone who calls himself a heating engineer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Now remind me again, which of us is it who has been served an Immediately Dangerous (ID) notice by Transco on a boiler installation they were doing, and which of us is it that keeps going on about how professional they are because otherwise we'd never guess?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Possibly not as bad as those who would have you believe that they are qualified professionals but who are consistently unable or unwilling to provide evidence of either.

It seems that this type of individual has the most hare-brained schemes, thinks that they are above and beyond reading manufacturer's instructions and then blames the manufacturer for their own shortcomings.

There was somebody called IMM who was rather like this, but he doesn't seem to be around any longer......

Reply to
Andy Hall

You obviously don't recognise dangerous when it is looking you straight in the mirror...

Reply to
John Rumm

The example on the electrical section shows a Crabtree socket and box which suggests original pro installation as I've not seen these in the sheds, etc. Complete with pissed trunking...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Andrew, I'm afraid you're just going to have to remind us, I don't remember that thread... got the link??!

Reply to
Lobster

the link buttons - is missing. As the site says "The purpose of this site is to show examples of what happens when inexperienced persons do work that is beyond their abilities".

The W3C Validator shows up 54 errors on the page, though of course some of these may be cascading errors from one above.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net (David) saying something like:

Piss off.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I think that that's him told, then.......

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 10:13:09 +0000, Andy Hall squeezed out the following:

Nah - from Grimly that's a polite request.

Reply to
Colin Irvine

With that site he's clearly trying to do something that he doesnt have the ability to, design a competent website.

"So, if you are a tradesman or an individual,"

Tradesment are not individuals according to him? Interesting.

I thought I had a whole bunch of atrocious pro sparky scrwesups on file, but couldnt find the pics. They make his examples of spurring look pretty tame.

I think Grimly summed it up fairly neatly.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Here we go:

of pics of pro disasters.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

I have just discovered a "gallery 2" job.

In the bedroom, a previous owner had decided to add a second lighting set, fed from a twin dimmer. To wire it, a pair of single core cables had been polyfillerd into a shallow groove to the right of the main feed. These wires then went over the top of the back box so that the metal dimmer plate (earth lead floating) pushed the wires against it, making the whole lot live. My partner was doing wallpaper stripping while I was out and complained of getting a shock off it. No pictures as I have started ripping it all out to make safe!

You can see where part P comes from.

Another gem I found last year, was the shower fed by a spur off the ring main. 9kW was not a sensible load methinks! Kitchen to do next and I just know what I am likely to find.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

I thought that too. Then I realised that as a contraction of photographs, it was probably reasonable.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

According to the Triton website FAQ this is not uncommon

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I suppose one shouldn't be pedantic - the English language owes its success to its flexibility.

By all accounts one should really use the apostrophe only for numerics such as "the 90's"

Reply to
brugnospamsia

Why? I would say that was one definite occasion where you shouldn't...

Reply to
Lobster

Not according to Lynne Truss...

Reply to