Distemper problem

I've just stripped lining paper in a largish bedroom, 4m x 4m x 2.9m; unfortunately the plaster is covered in patchy distemper.

From online research it seems that there are two types: water-based distemper and oil-based. Since mine rubs off with a damp kitchen scrubbing sponge I'd guess I have the water-based distemper.

I know I need to seal the surface using one of (1) clear stabilising solution, (2) primer sealer, or (3) diluted PVA prior to applying emulsion paint.

Can any of these sealers make the surface smooth enough that subsequent coats of paint won't show the underlying patchiness, or must I wash all of the distemper off first? It took me about 15 minutes to wash 1 square metre, and I'm not sure I want to spend 12 hours scrubbing walls!

Dave

Reply to
Dave Cox

Does steaming with a wallpaper stripper make it easier?

Reply to
Rob Morley

yup. Hot water and detergent will make it far quicker though.

why? It always puzzles me when folk say that. I've always had better results using water than pva.

sealers or other paint coats dont make the surface smooth. Filler and plaster do.

Bathroom, old waterbased paint... I would.

Lifes fun eh. Speed it up: hot water, detergent, and I might try using a soft floor sweeping brush for it too, it might work.

If you really want a minimum work job, just wipe it clean and paint with lime paint. And repaint next year.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton