Display driver

You should find the onboard video more than adequate

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The extra clean seems to have resolved the display issue. Thanks to all contributors.

New m/c arrives Monday so watch this space:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message <ugt93e$ua3c$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Paul snipped-for-privacy@needed.invalid writes

Snip

Thanks Paul. Copied for others to understand and explain:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

If you want to use your old monitor, buy an adapter from the plug it has to the plug on the back of the computer. That is a 'Displayport to VGA adapter', eg:

Or buy a new monitor with an HDMI or Displayport input.

That's it.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I think I can manage that:-) Ta.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The BHF charity shop in worthing has a collection of keyboards and rodents for sale. 2 quid for a decent looking USB KB and quid for a usb mouse. I dare say they have a shop more local to Tim.

Reply to
Andrew

Never buy a used mouse. I mean a cheap KB is about £10 And a mouse even less

Ive gotta couple of 'kensington' KBs and Chinesium meeces for my 'non daily use' computers

Work just fine

All you need is a Display Port to VGA adapter for an older monitor, and the graffix performance will be more than adequate without a separate graphics card.

And frankly, unless your keyboard and mouse are PS2, they will plug right in

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Or a smart TV.

I used my 24 inch Samsung full HD smart TV as a monitor for a couple of years. This also allowed me to watch TV in a window in the corner of the screen while using it as a conventional monitor.

Reply to
Andrew

I watched a Youtube video from a chap (with an odd haircut) called ExplainingComputers. He had been given a Raspberry Pi5 with 8Gb of ram and was running a browser on it that seemed impressively fast. Shame it was running bloody linux.

Elsewhere I have read that the guy behind Raspberry Pi was thinking of floating the company on the stock market. Not sure if this is a silly rumour, but if that happens, they wont be selling as cheaply as they do at the moment (not that you can even buy one at the moment).

Reply to
Andrew

My main complaint was the system chip getting very hot. Lean your hand on it, and `Ouch'.

Reply to
maus

I think you *have* to fit the optional heatsink with variable speed fan which sits on the new video chip and the processor. Mr explainingComputers has done a video comparing temperatures with various combinations of heatsink

Reply to
Andrew

The official heatsink, sits on the Wifi chip, the power management chip, and the CPU.

This shows the heatsink back side. When you attempt to cool multiple chips with a thermal plate, you generally need to do tolerance analysis regarding the thickness of the TIM. In this case, they used thermal tape for all three, to take care of nominal height variation off the production line of the RPI 5 finished board.

The power adapter for that, is around 5V @ 5A, to give a rough idea what the presumed max power is. Some of that power, might be used to power USB peripherals.

Broadcom BCM2712 TDP 12 W

or roughly half of the power adapter. As usual, we don't know if that is "stock" frequency or "turbo" frequency power number.

The design apparently throttles the 2712, if it gets too hot. I don't know if other chips are similarly protected or not.

"idle temperature of the Raspberry Pi 5 was 50.5 degrees Celsius, and without cooling it leapt to 86.7°Cs, passing the 80°C thermal throttle point."

The idle can be a bit higher than that.

Apparently, the Pi 5 can detect the kind of adapter used, and it limits USB bus power if the 27W adapter is not available.

In the picture here, you can see the Wifi chip gets warm, as well as the CPU. Other thermal pictures show a cold Wifi for some reason (bad stress test design???)..

"what happens when you add a HAT? ..."

And so on.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

I am able to source Pis very easily.

The latest one runs at 47°C at idle, On using 60% CPU it runs at 52°C...

But the processor is very small. That represents only a couple of watts.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm using a 4k TV as a monitor. The dot pitch is about the same as my old HP 1920x1200 monitor, but it's a lot bigger.

For the first time ever in my life I'm not maximising the window I am working on. The corners are too far away :)

I shan't recommend the brand. It's an alpha test unit from a project I was involved with, and it was free :)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I never maximise them, there's no need. Once a week when I'm unlucky enough to have to be using a Windows machine, I'm very often having to copy some data items off a web page and into a spreadsheet. I can just about size those two windows to fit on the screen so I can see the web page while I'm typing into the SS. Luckily too I can usually do all that without needing to use the ribbon in Excel, since if you make an Excel window narrow at all, stuff falls off the ribbon never to be seen again. At home I don't have that problem, since although Excel for macOS uses the same ribbon, everything is also still where it always was on the menu bar, which on a Mac is attached to the screen and not the window, and so doesn't shrink when you make a window narrower.

Reply to
Tim Streater