Display driver

Something seems to have upset my display driver as the screen blanks for a few seconds before returning with a message about (intel accelerator driver for Windows Vista R stopped working).

Google tells me this might be dust causing overheating, card on the way out etc..

Coincides with me stripping out my anti virus (AVG)

Any thoughts? Bashing the box has no effect.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

haha

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

Here's a nickel son. Go buy yourself a modern computer and get a modern OS.

Reply to
mm0fmf

You must be only person I know running Vista which came out circa 2006.

Nothing an airline won't sort out.

The trouble is that the AVG application won't have been optimised for Vista, so who know what damage it's done when you installed, updated and removed it.

Update the PC, what's the spec? Does it have an SSD?

Reply to
Fredxx

There seems to be a 32-bit and 64-bit version of this, inside the ZIP file..

It is the portable version, and can just run from a folder in your Download folders. You extract the contents of the ZIP, and then you can use the 32-bit EXE in there. Double click and then wait a few seconds.

( This is the install-able version, which isn't absolutely necessary )

This shows an example of CPU-Z running, where it has collected information about the CPU, the motherboard, the RAM total, plus my fine fine NVidia 7900GT (cost me 65 bucks). This was my WinXP machine, before it died about two years ago. In the About tab, I think there is an option to save some information as a text file. Only a small number of lines from the text file are needed, to carry the same info as this screen.

[Picture]

*******

This program, GPU-Z from Techspot (an independent developer delivers his stuff from there), this can give details about video card subsystems, what version of OpenGL is running and so on.

The Install version is best. You run the EXE for it, in your Downloads folder. This picture shows a seven year old graphics card, and you can see it is OpenGL capable in the corner (good for Engineering drawings if you have software, or good for LibreOffice in Windows too).

[Picture]

Those are examples of tools for digging out hardware details.

The Bash shell in Win11, allows me to use a Linux file command, to sniff executable type. The GPU-Z is 32-bit, so can work on your setup. The CPU-Z has both kinds of executables, and the PE32 will run on your machine.

bash /mnt/d$ file cpuz* cpuz_x32.exe: PE32 executable (GUI) Intel 80386, for MS Windows cpuz_x64.exe: PE32+ executable (GUI) x86-64, for MS Windows

bash /mnt/c/Users/myname/Downloads$ file GPU-Z.2.47.0.exe GPU-Z.2.55.0.exe GPU-Z.2.47.0.exe: PE32 executable (GUI) Intel 80386, for MS Windows, UPX compressed GPU-Z.2.55.0.exe: PE32 executable (GUI) Intel 80386, for MS Windows, UPX compressed

Anyway, those are examples of gathering data, so we can better understand where we are going to find a driver for you. We know you have a crusty Intel chipset GPU (crusty means from the era before Intel knew how to make a GPU properly). I have the same problem in my Optiplex 780 refurb. the graphics are GMA x4500, and Windows 10 22H2 won't install on that, and only 21H2 works. You can also "feel" when using the machine, there is no "acceleration" to speak of, so the acceleration is "imaginary" and all in ones head. That's why Intel prints that word on the screen.

And the graphics card market today is a mess. I have a couple cards that only cost me 65, and now the baseline is 200. The price of trash has gone up by a factor of three :-) The HD6450 in the Optiplex now, is a sweet card, because it cannot use more than 13W of electricity, while it is doing nothing. It runs at 3 watts, most of the time. but "flat out", it uses 13 watts. You could play The SIMs on it. Or maybe Quake2.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Ha! With prostate issues, I didn't expect to outlast this one.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Hmm this is a re-conditioned college m/c. Actual age uncertain but MS still send me upgrades.

I'll try the AVG strip out before carting it down to the airline.

Conventional hard drive.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Hmm. That graphics card cost is more than I paid for the m/c!

Most of the above is way over my head but thanks for the thoughts.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Mmm. I get a similar feeling. Every D-I-Y job is likely to be 'the last time I ever' do it.

I might last longer, bit probably not fit enough to handle this house, or drive a car.

However, seriously, a cheapo refurbed 'puter is not a bank breaker.

Assuming you have a monitor and keybored

I've used these people a LOT and am currently running an earlier version of this (old 4 core i5)

It has been flawless. These are bog standard 7-10 year old ex office machines - our doctors surgery still has them - and are lowish power and very solid.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The intel integrated graphics on this machine is as fast as an NVidia

210 was on the machine it replaced. And way less power hungry.

For my needs I ended up using less power and had better performance on a smaller footprint.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks for that. My current desk top was an e-bay purchase. Re-furbed ex-college machine. I got him to fit a 31/2 floppy (remember those?) and fill up the memory slots. Permanently on since.

Using the AVG removal tool in safe mode may have cleared the issue as it seems ok at the moment.

I have stuck with Turnpike for newsgroups but this needs to run in a 32 bit environment. Others have done it but I have doubts about my ability to get it set up. I haven't explored the T Bird version.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

T-bird is average to shit for Usenet, but it is usable.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But it is likely something after the GMA era.

In Windows, you can use Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) and check the details of the video card there ["Display Adapter"]

Paul

Reply to
Paul

For sure. It is a 530 integrated on CPU graphics set as far as I can tell

The whole jump to quadcore i5/integrated graphics dropped the whole power consumption massively. Probably to less than 20W from well over

100W - a saving of 80W over a year is enough to pay for the machine cost in a year at today's horrendous electricity prices.

Which is why I am also in the process of replacing my ageing tower PC/spinning rust main server with a raspberry PI and probably 3 SSDS, with a maximum draw of 6W!!

Which should knock another £200 off the annual electricity bill, though the office will be chilly in winter :(

Linux Mint MATE has a 'hardware monitor' that shows that as well

Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 530 (SKL GT2)

I have to say that while this machine is not much faster than what it replaced, it does it with a lot less electron munching.

And using a Pi for a server is probably a bit slower, BUT since it is probably disk- and network- limited anyway, I won't notice it...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Some older PCs can be pretty fast. I wasn't try to write it off. As long as it has 2 or more cores and 4GB of RAM it should be good.

I would recommend this anyway, as reducing running temperature can only be a good thing.

Oh, can I recommend changing this for an SSD? They are not expensive. You won't go back to an old conventional HD if you did.

You can use something like Clonezilla to clone the disc and use the original as an internal backup. Or use the opportunity to upgrade the OS?

Reply to
Fredxx

TNP is correct! I really need to upgrade the box.

An electrical test stamp is dated 2014:-)

Does all I currently need for speed. OEG Stone fitted INTEL (R) G965 Express chipset

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Q2 2006.

Unless you actually need the floppy disc support I'd go shopping for a new box. Keep the old one as you transfer stuff over.

I agree with TNP that there are plenty of refurb ex-corporate boxes around for not-much. Don't go earlier than 2013 (Intel 4th gen), but a good sweet spot might be 2018 (Intel 8th gen, Ryzen 3000) - 5 years old so have fallen off many companies' upgrade cycle, but also just new enough to run Windows

  1. Going before the Win11 cutoff date will likely get you a drop in price, but note that Win10 is going out of support in 2025 so you won't get security updates after then.

(there are hacks to run Win11 on earlier unsupported hardware, but depends how much extra hassle you want)

First hits on ebay, for instance:

In the 8th gen alone there are 199 buy-it-nows in the sub-£200 bracket at the moment, starting at about £100.

I think you might be able to run Turnpike if you install Win10 32-bit mode, but not sure about Win11. However it would be possible to run it in a VM - in fact what you could do is to convert your entire Win7 HDD into a VM which can run on top of Win10 or 11, and then gradually migrate to Win10/11 apps.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Without knowing speed, no of cores and whether 32/64 bit it's difficult to call.

My i7 quad core is probably older than that.

It does support dual channel memory.

A new SSD would make all the difference.

Reply to
Fredxx

Don't apps like Rufus give you the option of loading Win11 onto a USB stick for machines that can't be automatically upgraded to Win11?

As time marches I'm sure Microsoft will supply an option for machines without a TPM.

Reply to
Fredxx

Theo.

Thanks for the above thoughts.

I was just about to type in a request for a suitable purchase spec:-)

Somewhere I have the instructions for running Turnpike in a 32 bit VM but it is stretching my capabilities:-(

I have been poking around E-bay and realise how little I know!

Most offers are well within my budget but tend to be tower types. Not impossible but not ideal for my desk where the printer sits on top of the PC.

I have some historic stuff on 3.5" floppies but must have a DVD fitted.

Existing display is an HP L1706 and I use a Packard Bell keyboard which came with the PC.

I like the sound of migrating my drive contents to a VM.

Reply to
Tim Lamb