Dishwashered mixer parts - now discoloured

We have a very old Kenwood mixer, with aluminium beaters. We unfortunately put them in the dishwasher, and they are now covered in a soft black deposit. What's the best way to get that off and if possible restore the finish?

Reply to
GB

Wire brush, perhaps with brass rather than steel wire. A suede brush would do, if you can still get them.

Reply to
newshound

Washing? We did that once to a garlic press which turned out to be aluminium. Scrubbing it with a pan scourer removed the worst (so the garlic came through white). Then 6 months or so of hand washes got it back to something approaching its old self - which was admittedly already old and tired.

Reply to
Robin

AlO2? possibly strong caustic, better an acid of some sort... vinegar/lemon juice rhubarb or maybe a de-scaler?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I tried vinegar, but that had no effect.

The black stuff does come off with a scourer, but now that the original shiny finish has gone, it discolours very easily. :(

Reply to
GB

Maybe time to try a spot of DIY anodising or find a firm that'll do it, or, look out for a replacement on eBay?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Are we talking about the K beater or the whisk, I wonder?

The K beater is a casting, I'm not sure what sort of alloy. Perhaps it's not actually aluminium.

The way to get the polish back might be to polish it with a reasonably powerful buffing wheel and a standard polishing compound. You might be able to use a dremel on the inside surfaces. It all depends on how pitted the surface has become as to how long it would take.

I'm pretty sure my K beater survives a dishwasher.

Reply to
newshound

Mezac.

Of course. Pot metal. Zinc alloy.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ours is nearly 40 years old. They have probably changed the coating to make them dishwasher-safe. Ours isn't.

I've buffed it up as best I can, and we've agreed it won't go in the dishwasher again. I was tempted to lacquer it now that it's cleanish, but I can't find a food-safe lacquer.

Reply to
GB