Dishwasher safe pottery repair

I dropped a plate and it's now in two pieces. If I do fix it, there's no way we're going to remember keep it out of the dishwasher, so is there any adhesive that's good for this sort of repair?

Reply to
Stephen Gower

I've certainly used 2-part epoxy Araldite (the 'original' type, I can't vouch for 'rapid') for that sort of repair, with no dishwasher problems even after years.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Sadly: no such thing. Your plate is now suitable for decorative purposes only: dishwasher or no dishwasher. If there is any danger that someone may at some point try to use it as a plate: THROW IT AWAY, NOW!

Ask yourself: "Do I at any time want to risk having a plate of red hot curry in my lap, or worse, in my aged mother's lap, or on my baby's head?

The same goes for tea cup handles. Sooner or later they WILL fail, and someone may be seriously injured.

(If it's a teapot handle that has gone, they can make excellent containers for Bonsai plants: picked up in both hands, never by the handle alone.)

Believe me: You really don't want to take such an unnecessary risk.

spamlet

And you will one day be a 'lobster' when a repair you have forgotten about suddenly dumps something hot in someone you hold dear's lap! I've seen it happen to my mum, and it is not a shock I would wish on anyone.

spamlet

Hmm, I can think of someone. Hey, Dribble, come and hold this pot.

Reply to
Grumps

A good epoxy, mixed *well*, applied, wiped off with acetone to make a neat join and then stoved in an oven about 100C.

The ladt is important. I dunno why, but epoxy gets rubbery when warm unless its been stoved: that way it seems to harden up and become different.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reminds be of some stylish glass top tables bought for a staff resturant. After the 3rd one shattered, dumping another 8 peoples' dinners in their laps complete with broken glass, the whole lot were chucked out.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel