Dishwasher motor connections

A friend wanted to use an ex-dishwasher pump for a d-i-y application but was puzzled as to how to wire it up so he asked me and I'm baffled too. Perhaps someone here can help.

The pump is of the induction motor type, having a 4 uf capacitor and three connection wires, red and blue of normal size from the capacitor and a thin white one entering the windings directly. The device may be seen here:

pump is thought to be from a Candy Dishwasher, model D7610 or D820 range.

The red and blue wires on the motor side of the capacitor are shown connected as found. Presumably the red and blue are the supply and the white is for start and direction.

With red and blue wires were connected across the mains and the motor hums but does not run. If the armature is spun in this condition it continues to run in whatever direction it is turned.

If the white wire is connected to the supply the motor again hums but does not start or run and if spun -difficult- it immediatly stops.

Please advise.

Roger

Reply to
Roger R

What SHOULD happen is that the red and blue wire in the motor go directly to the mains, and the mains should go to the white wire VIA the capacitor.

I can't figure out how that can be achieved with what you have there.

Hmm the one sitting in front of me here, also looks odd.looks like it also has red and blue to go to the capacitor....possibly the power should go into the white and blue, with the motor connected as you show it.

This is how I thought it was supposed to work

The Natural Philosopher

that at all.

Thing is... if the white is for the start winding, then surely it should be at least as thick or possibly thicker as the others as the starting current will be higher than the run current. But in this case the white wire is a much thinner wire. Presumably the white links to some control board, could there be another small capacitor there to give the phase advance for the start.

I forgot to mention the ohmeter and voltmeter readings, perhaps because I appear to have mislaid the sheet. Never the less as I recall:

240V applied to red and blue, white is approx at 110V.

Red to blue around 180 ohms, white to red or blue around half that. I recollect there was small bias to one side, for example white to red

95 ohms and white to blue 85 ohms.

Roger

Reply to
Roger R

No. The start winding merely kicks the motor in the right direction on starting. Its usually a very fine winding in addition to, one of the others.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher