discarding old paint tins

Actually, I did mention to one of the neighbours that one option I was considering was to set it on fire :-)

Reply to
Scott

I've a enough for a car full but looking at the tip's webcam they seem to be allowing around one car in every 4 to 5 minutes and the queue stretches back as far as the webcam resolution can render. I estimate that the wait to get in would be at least an hour.

Reply to
alan_m

All it takes is imagination:

(18:10 for the relevant bit, but the whole thing is worth a watch)

Reply to
John Rumm

I suppose a variant would be to ask someone in the queue of cars to dump it for you :-) I expect someone would assist.

Reply to
Scott

Only bright red paint :-)

Reply to
Andrew

Tip any paint down the drain[1]. Fill the empty can with rubbish, disguise it by placing in a carrier bag with other rubbish and just put in in the normal rubbish.

[1] In the current hot weather just leave the lid off the can and put it in direct sunshine for a week so it skins/evaporates.
Reply to
alan_m

when I lived in Basingstoke, that was normal for a weekend visit

HTH

tim

Reply to
tim...

1) what's an apothecary cabinet and why might I want one? 2) how many DIYers have one of those automated saw things

He luckily started with nice bright colours

I am starting from a can of Yuk Brown

HTH

tim

Reply to
tim...

yeah, really responsible.

evaporates!

half an inch of paint (emulsion) takes about 2 weeks to go solid in last week weather.

having hoiked out the solid and put it my normal waste

I now have three tins with painted sides

I'll put them in the recycling - even though the instruction from LA are that I shouldn't

still have a plastic "tin" and two tins that I have yet to put on walls,

tim

Reply to
tim...

Apparently a cabinet with lots of drawers...

(presumably from the days when a pharmacist would need to stock lots of leaves, roots, herbs etc).

Spose it would be good for anyone needing lots of smallish drawers - perhaps an nice way to house ones screw collection!

Which automated saw thing did you have in mind?

The only slightly unusual saw thing he had is an old DeWalt radial arm saw - mostly replaced by sliding mitre saws these days. (Plus a "normal" bandsaw and table saw).

The other main machine was a Record combination planer / thicknesser machine, which will be a big time saver planing all that reclaimed timber.

So you need a nice "earthy" project to paint! :-)

Reply to
John Rumm

yeah, that thing

tim

Reply to
tim...

That kind of thing is quite popular with wood workers - they tend to pay for themselves fairly quickly since you can prepare all your own stock from rough sawn lumber.

Personally I prefer having separate machines for planing and thicknessing. I have a very old (late '40s) delta 6" planer, and a DeWalt lunchbox style "portable" thicknesser.

Reply to
John Rumm

Round here we went down from several bins for recycling to one that takes paper, card and plastics. The bin men occasionally look under the lid which they did for a neighbour of mine and left her bin full when they found plastic sheets and followed up by a letter from the council. I tip them every Xmas they don?t bother looking in my bins.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

surely they take steel tines

They are by far the easiest item to recycle and to sort

The bin men occasionally look under the lid which they did for a neighbour of mine and left her bin full when they found plastic sheets and followed up by a letter from the council.

well that what happens when you don't follow the rules

I doubt they remember, personally

HTH

tim

Reply to
tim...

though the project could be done with just 1 saw.

yes, but planers are vulnerable to any bit of metal left behind, not too unusual in reclaimed wood. A sander based machine would be better - belts are cheap & easy to fit. Just a wood frame plus belt sander could be used if you don't have a thicknesser.

Or get some free paints. Freecycle, freegle, facebook etc. FWIW I wouldn't have painted it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr