discarding old paint tins

Ours too. I think they allow 8 per hour. You can book three weeks in advance. Needless to say, getting one is rather like getting a Glastonbury ticket, you have to camp on the site when they release the new slots.

Reply to
newshound

For stuff that is still useable, some areas have paint re-use charities that accept donations (and may collect).

Reply to
John Rumm

You could make two holes and wear the tin over your head and voila, a face mask.

Reply to
Andrew

There is a suspicion that a lot of the recyclable material in West Sussex is just being trucked over to Brighton to keep their incinerator constantly fed.

Reply to
Andrew

Biodegradeable plastic bags render perfectly re-usable plastic from being recycled.

Reply to
Andrew

Yebbut if the tin is still half full of paint, that could be messy...

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Sometimes people take them when offered free, sometimes not. Sometimes such batches can be mixed to make useful paints, just don't expect to ever get anything to match well later.

Lesser amounts can be mixed in the can if the result is a nice colour & offered to charities - need to black out the manufacturer name.

You can also mix emulsion into cement/sand.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Assuming your recycle centre will take them, you can pay for a collection if you want. However around here I think the advice is they do not handle them even when dry and need to be taken by a registered waste company to the nearest site for safe disposal. I'm sure many folk around here simply take the lids off and burn them then flatten them and put them in the recycling, which seems to be very un environmentally friendly. Also many so called paint times these days are plastic! I think he makers of paint should be responsible for their disposal from the tip myself. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Yes they do go through the rubbish round here, well lets say they are practiced at seeing tins. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Would you apply that to every product sold?

Reply to
charles

so they pretend

how the wrong sort of paper can make the tins glass and plastic bottles unrecyclable is anybody's guess

tim

Reply to
tim...

at which point in the process?

If large items are hand sorted (as it seems they often are)

how can having plastic bags in the mix contaminate the selected items?

tim

Reply to
tim...

I've already had them taking up storage space for a year (gap between starting the job and getting a man in last week to help finish it)

A few months waiting for the end of lock-down is not the problem here

The general rule is the problem

HTH

tim

Reply to
tim...

my council make no distinction

paint is paint as far as they are concerned

Reply to
tim...

I've decanted the final dregs into jam jars

takes up less storage space, and (hopefully) lasts longer

but there's still a small amount at the bottom (currently being left to go solid)

Reply to
tim...

There have been programs on teh TV about this. I seem to remember that when Hugh Fearnly-W did that 'reduce your waste' series in ?Bristol, he visited a plastic recycling company and they visually inspected the compressed bales by spreading them out on a concrete apron and if it looked contaminated, off it went to landfill or an incinerator.

Reply to
Andrew

labelled with a soft pencil, because felt markers fade :-)

Reply to
Andrew

Interesting:

I do have one colour for which the quantity is too large to just wait for it to go solid

I haven't actually finished using that colour, so it's currently not one of the tins I need to dispose of. But it will be soon

Oh

"For health and safety reasons access onto HWRCs is by vehicle only"

looks like it's back to freecycling it

Reply to
tim...

Yes, I guessed that

I already have enough paint for my required needs.

making new colours from it, isn't going to create a use for it

why?

for some specific purpose

or just to get rid of it (the paint that is)

so what does one do with the sand afterwards?

Reply to
tim...

no, I don't want

I think that's an unreasonable requirement put upon me because I don't have a car

The items are not too big to carry to the tip

tim

Reply to
tim...