Direct Power 18V Cordless Hammer Drill. @ 10.75 Argos

710/6842 10 £ .75

Is that professional standard or only D-I-Y?

Sam

Reply to
Sam

Probably neither... ;-)

How about "Budget" 4kg SDS drill in case with tools, 12.95+VAT at Makro. Hey IMM they probably still have two you can buy!

Reply to
John Rumm

Alas, a greart bargain as it is, I have no need for an SDS at the mo' I may be in the matket for a 1.5kW circular saw soon.

Reply to
IMM

What do your instincts tell you?

And at that price, it will be end of range. So if it fails within warranty, all you'll get is your money back.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , IMM writes

Got some more plastic pipe to cut eh?

Reply to
David

Reply to
Steve Firth

Haven't looked at my current Makro flyer, but is this the Nutool job in a blow moulded case? If so, I bought one a couple of years ago for ~ £40 when Makro first stocked them. Builders were queuing across the car park on the day they came into the store. Unfortunately mine is still working because it's replacement will definitely have a clutch after a couple of nasty wrist frightening episodes when the bit caught when drilling through a bit of concrete. Also although it will operate in hammer-mode only, the chuck is free to rotate as it wishes, i.e. a chisel bit will follow what you're trying to create a nice channel in rather than going where you wish it to go.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Installing large diameter water mains?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Noooo - this is well downmarket of the NuTool! ;-)

The actual brand on the box is "Budget". They have a number of different tools of said brand. Things like a power plane for 6.99, 1/4" router for

14.99 etc.

I remember reading about the various horror stories at the time. I was looking for a cheap SDS the other day, since my mother wanted a disposable drill for a bit of concrete breaking (saves her borrowing my Makita!). Chances are it will get used once or twice and then left in a cupboard.

The Budget one looked to have all the undesireable design details of the old NuTool (i.e. selectors looked free to move by themselves, no clutch, weighs a ton etc). There was a newer version of the original NuTool at about 20 quid. This now has click stops on the selectors. There was a

800W "high end" NuTool which has a positive lock on the selectors (i.e. you have to depress a button before you can turn the selector out of roto stop). In the end I got her that one since it looked least likely to have any nasty supprises! Was about 40 IIRC.
Reply to
John Rumm

Wonder just what you'd get if you went into a shop and asked for a 1.5 kW circular saw? Apart from a strange look, that is.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

For that money if you only used it for screwing it would be worth it. The only issue I have is the waste problem. How many of these disposable power tools are actually going to be recycled and how many will just end up in landfills?

Reply to
StealthUK

I'm sure with the right blade it will do the job brilliantly. I know some one who used a bend saw to cut copper pipes. Great square clean cut that did not crimp, over then pipe.

Reply to
IMM

you did....my, oh, my, the bumpkins laugh at anything.

Reply to
IMM

That's one way to cut up the tarmac.

Reply to
IMM

We should stop this stupid re-cycling and just burn rubbish. 99% of all rubbish is burnable. The heat can then generate electricity.

Reply to
IMM

Hi,

Virtally all tools end up in landfills at some point, as long as it's used within it's normal capabilities ie light DIY, it should last a long while.

At 10 quid a drill it's almost worth having a second one for an extra battery and spares.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

We've been here before :-)

Anybody who can contemplate buying a perfectly good drill to break it up spares is certifiably DIY Positive.

Reply to
Ian White

Plus the fact that these cheap tools invariably have a weak part which will break on both.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oh dear, Dave. That serious reply certifies you as DIY Doubleplus (which the rest of us already knew).

Reply to
Ian White