Direct Power 18V Cordless Hammer Drill. @ 10.75 Argos

Wonder what that weighs? Must be about as bad as slinging a genny over your shoulder...
--
*You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive *

What do your instincts tell you?
And at that price, it will be end of range. So if it fails within warranty, all you'll get is your money back.
--
*Verbs HAS to agree with their subjects *

For that money if you only used it for screwing it would be worth it. The only issue I have is the waste problem. How many of these disposable power tools are actually going to be recycled and how many will just end up in landfills?

We should stop this stupid re-cycling and just burn rubbish. 99% of all rubbish is burnable. The heat can then generate electricity.
On 9 Oct 2004 12:16:19 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@iname.com (StealthUK) wrote:

Hi,
Virtally all tools end up in landfills at some point, as long as it's used within it's normal capabilities ie light DIY, it should last a long while.
At 10 quid a drill it's almost worth having a second one for an extra battery and spares.
cheers, Pete.
Pete C wrote:

We've been here before :-)
Anybody who can contemplate buying a perfectly good drill to break it up spares is certifiably DIY Positive.
--
Ian White
Abingdon, England

Plus the fact that these cheap tools invariably have a weak part which will break on both.
--
*Fax is stronger than fiction *

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Oh dear, Dave. That serious reply certifies you as DIY Doubleplus (which the rest of us already knew).
--
Ian White
Abingdon, England

up
I don't think he has done any DIY in his life. He wears DeWalt boots down the boozer.

Years of bitter experience. ;-)

From the one who doesn't know how to cut plastic pipe properly. And uses rotozips. Now I've never seen a pro use one of those...

Why the fetish with boots? Do you wear them with your tutu when tango dancing?

Haven't touched alcohol for many a year. Judging by some of your late night posts, you'd be advised to do the same.
--
*Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

OK, in more detail:
Use the first and keep second as a backup. If the first one goes wrong, use the second and fix the first if you can. If the second goes wrong too use bits from the first to keep it going. If both go wrong get a refund under the 3 year guarantee. In the meantime you have an spare battery and spare charger too which can be useful, or a complete spare drill/battery/charger to lend out or use elsewhere.
Not bad for 20 surely...
cheers, Pete.

No, but what about all the time titting around with doing this?
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

This DIY! They like doing that, so they can save 180 on not buying an overpriced un-needed tool.

Why would a cordless hammer drill be unneeded at any price? You either need it or not,
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

extra
up
180 is a tool you need every day. They sue them occasionally.

LOL, was just explaining how a second drill would be used as a backup, in addition to a useful second battery and charger.
If there are no problems it's hypothetical, otherwise there's always the option of returning under guarantee for refund or replacement, no extra time is required. Personally I prefer to spend a little time repairing something rather than throw it away.
There is still a big gap between these tools and Makita etc, but that gap has closed a lot over the last few years. IMHO you can expect good service from these tools in normal DIY use unless you buy the cheapest of the cheap.
Even mid range stuff isn't without it's problems, I would tend to steer clear of mid range stuff made in China at present, and either go for something inexpensive made there or mid range/top line stuff made elsewhere.
cheers, Pete.

Great suggestion. Give up he just can't see it.

Very true. The likes of Ryobi and Wickes (Kress) are excellent value for money.

The Chinese will give the quality you specify. Don't just think because it is from China it is bad.

Good sensible post.
Well I bought one, out of curiousity more than anything as I've already got 2 decent cordless 18v drills.
It appears the Power Direct brand is exclusive to Argos and their answer to B&Q's Power Pro range. They've now cleared the stock and have started a new line named Worx using bright orange casings instead. If you look at the current Worx 18v it's exactly the same as the PD one. Either these products are produced with higher grade parts or it's one big marketing con. I'll soon know.
Oh..I reserved it online before going to pick it up on Sunday and was told I shouldn't have been allowed to reserve it online as it was clearance and only available from the clearance room which didn't have any stock.
Then I spot the manager shifting a whole trolley of power tools over to the clearance room, including the aforementioned.
One excited woman called over to her husband, "Hey, there's a drill here for 10". Husband glances at them, " Nah...they're crap". First thing I thought of was this NG. :-)
Trolley was emptied out in about 3 minutes anyway.

Wasn't me. I never go to Argos. ;-)