Dipstick tailgator

Gives them a warm fuzzy feeling. Tar and feathering would do similar.

Reply to
Richard

In message <shc5ei$1l5f$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org>, at 06:18:10 on Thu, 9 Sep

2021, Richard snipped-for-privacy@bt>> In message snipped-for-privacy@candehope.me.uk>, at 21:18:31 on Wed, 8

I got the impression they'd rather have had one set to the actual limit but failing that, what they had would do.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Last time I checked the highway code, I thought undertaking on the motorway was illegal?

S.

Reply to
SH

Not in and of itself. The Highway Code merely advises against it.

And there's neither law or guidance against changing your mind about your route so long as you can do so lawfully and safely. Adam wasn't weaving. He can argue that having decided to take the he was entitled to pass on the inside of the wide load (HC 268) and then, seeing the congestion disappear, to change his mind again about his route.

Reply to
Robin

That sounds like a legal loophole for those white vans that I regularly see on the motorways where they drive so close to the vehicle in front and then suddenly swerve without indicating from lane 3 to lane 1 to undertake two lots of cars in Lanes 2 and 3 and then swerve back across to lane 3 again without indicating

You can actually hear the van tyres squealing and the fully laden van listing on its suspension as it swerves.....

Reply to
SH
<snip>

What you describe sounds to me like something very different: weaving.

Reply to
Robin

SH used his keyboard to write :

It's a 'should not', rather than a 'must not'. Really - you should not move to a left lane in order to undertake, but if you are all ready in a left lane and the right lane is congested/ moving slower, then you can. In such circumstances, I would have my finger ready on the horn, main and be ready to brake, in case a vehicle to my right decided to pull to the left unware of my presence there.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

mm0fmf used his keyboard to write :

I wasn't upholding the law, I was ensuring my and my families safety, or trying to.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Tim Streater submitted this idea :

Sometimes yes, but generally no. I judge my own driving on how long I remain in the outter lanes.

There is one section of nearby motorway which I often use - where even when towing, I remain in L3 for my own safety at busy times.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

charles pretended :

Not taxed, not insured - likely means the driver is also untraceable, so why should they need to worry about speed limits.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Make a full circle on the roundabout and end up behind the tailgater.

Reply to
mechanic

Despite the fact that your speed limit when towing is only 60mph? People have been prosecuted for driving without due care and consideration for other road users for sticking in an outer lane and holding up following traffic.

Reply to
nightjar

mechanic submitted this idea :

If you were suggesting that I tailgate him, I would never do that.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

It happens that nightjar formulated :

I remain below 60 and still do not hold up following traffic. I thought you might have complained about me (possibly and illegally) being in the outside lane, but you didn't. It is L3 of five lanes, where the A1(M) splits into A1(M) and M1, plus the A64 joins. With joining vehicles, leaving vehicles all swapping lanes at speed, the safer lane is L3 or L4, depending upon how busy.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

On the northern section of the M6 a few years ago, someone consistantly stayed in the outside lane with no other traffic - apart from myself - and I wanted to overtake. No amount of light flashing or horn sounding helped. Eventually, I moved to theninnermost lane and went past.

Reply to
charles

On motorway carriageways with three or more lanes, lorries and any / all vehicles towing trailers are banned from the offside lane anyway (even for brief overtaking).

Breach of this or any other motorway regulation is a penalty-points matter.

Reply to
JNugent

And that is coming from a failed Class A !

Reply to
Rambo

In Germany it is an offence to undertake. It is also an offence to be undertaken

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The only bit of that I can see with five lanes is the A1(M) northbound, where the A64 splits off. That would mean that what you call L3 is effectively L1 of the A1(M), with two lanes of the A64 slip road to the left.

Reply to
nightjar

on 09/09/2021, charles supposed :

A perfectly reasonably thing to do, I have on occaision done the same myself. I would suggest an even less risky thing to do, assuming you began from L1, would be to just stay in L1 at the limit and simply undertake keeping a watchful eye on them.

If you are bored, and the motorway is otherwise empty apart from a middle lane hog - is to overtake them in L3, pull back to L1 and slow down until they pass, then repeat. See how many circles you can achieve before they wake up to what you are doing.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.