Dove Grey emulsion

I had developed a fixation on having dove grey walls when I decorate the interior of my home.

In the meantime I am just putting the finishing touches to a cloak cupboard carved out of a large bathroom. Jusy got a a tiny bit of making good to finish.

I decided that this was the best place to test the colour. The lighting is good in there as it happens. I probably need 1/2 litre of emulsion but i expected to have to buy a litre.

I was surprised when I could at best get 2.5 litres but not dove grey. Doesn't anyone do mixing in the store anymore?

I blame globalisation.

Reply to
pinnerite

Local independent woodyard/DIY shed does mixing.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Dulux decorator centres do colour matching and mixing. If you take a sample of the grey that you want, they'll analyse the colour and mix you a tin to match. I had it done for some red kitchen tiles, and the paint is an excellent match.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Not only that but if you are on foot they won't let you on a buss with a tin of paint either, Health and safety, apparently. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

The trade 'decorator centre' places generally do - Dulux, Crown, Johnstone's, also chains like Brewers. Perhaps not so much at the retail sheds these days, but then you probably didn't want retail paint anyway.

Colour names like 'Dove Grey' don't mean much unless you know which paint vendor they come from (everyone's 'magnolia' is different, for example), and if you know the brand the others should be able to look that up in their database and come up with their equivalent.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

It's a serious risk - the water based emulsion may spontaneously combust.

Reply to
alan_m

+1

However I'll be astonished if they call it Dove Grey -- you can't even get "White" any more!

JJ.

Reply to
Another John

put it inside a bag

how will they know?

Reply to
tim...

Life is a serious risk.

Reply to
Max Demian

I thought that doves are officially white - after all, a dove is just a pigeon with PR.

(I chose daffodil white for some walls, which is cream really, not yellow at all which would be horrible.)

Reply to
Max Demian

Wickes do, or they did the last time I was in one. Ditto Homebase and B&Q, unless Covid has temporarily suspended this.

Reply to
Andrew

Whjhen you've found a store that does mixing, and they still exist, ask for a 250ml match pot.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

I thought I had ordered Dove Grey from Wickes (I am collecting later) but on readong the confimation realised it was Earl Grey. Fortunately is a test bewing for the inside of a cupboard. Still the flavour shou;d be good. :)

Reply to
pinnerite

I purchased a carpet recently and in most carpet shops I visited there were a lot more than 50 shades of grey! Grey seems to be popular trend for carpets. I did purchase a grey carpet but the manufacturer called the colour silver :)

Reply to
alan_m

Well, I foolishly and accidentally bought a can of "Earl Grey" from Wickes. There is no grey in it. I found a Dulux Colour Centre on the ouskirts of Watford. Very interesting. Charming helpful guy served me and i came out with a can of dove Grey. They are more expensive than Wickes but Dulux have always made good stuff.

The can-opening ceremony starts in about an hour. :)

Reply to
pinnerite

I would disagree with you on Dulux gloss.

Their new stuff is water-based and completely useless. Doesn't bond to the substrate and isn't at all glossy.

I've usually found Wickes paint good but it's a bit hit-and-miss what colours they have in stock, or where on the shelf they put them. It's a bit like buying paint in a rummage sale.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

Brewers does. They'll even mix you up Farrow & Ball paint if they don't have the shade in stock. Using a Farrow & Ball mixing machine.

Reply to
Tim Streater