Dimmer switching - part two

Further to another question I posted in dimmer switches. What are folks here doing about the demise of the standard bulb? Currently (no pun) I can still buy filament bulbs from 'cheap' shops, but
balk at the idea of halogen bulbs because of their cost. Low energy bulbs do not like dimmer switches or touch lamps and I have no experience of LED in household (ceiling or bedside). I could do with some shared experience advice here.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Jim S wrote:

Buy a modest stock of the types you use and store them. Continue to buy replacements as needed. then you always have the buffer stock. My feeling is that filament lamps will continue to be available for a considerable time to come.
On 21/06/2013 10:56, Bob Minchin wrote:

Dr Watson was considering the same question and discussing it with Holmes.
"I say, Holmes. Shall we change to CFLs, LEDs or stick with what we have got?"
"Filamentary, my dear Watson."
--
Rod

On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 11:02:47 +0100, polygonum wrote:

Aw - man
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
"polygonum" < snipped-for-privacy@vrod.co.uk> wrote in message
On 21/06/2013 14:27, Brian Gaff wrote:

I guess if you lit your office like that you would have A Study in Scarlet.
--
Rod

A +/- 7% solution.
On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 10:56:27 +0100, Bob Minchin wrote:

They may do where you live, but up here the only supply is from the shops that buy unmarked containers from China :(
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
On 21/06/13 11:42, Jim S wrote:

I buy filament lamps in blocks of 20-50 online, every few years.
60 watt standard BC pearl 40 watt standard BC candle 60 watt screw pearl 40 watt small BC candle. Plus 12v 60W halogens that I get from newey an eyre n blocks of 20 every few years. They last longer than the new eco bulbs.. genearly 3 years in high usage areas.
--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) – a system of government where the least capable to lead
Thew worrying things I've been told is that many LEDs now fail not due to the leds being faulty but the power supply inside being crap and dying prematurely. seems somebody is churning them out in china too. Not gone down that road here as need little light myself these days. Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"The Natural Philosopher" < snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
Yes particularly the little ones as there is nothing much like them that are light and don't look like what they are, bodged up leds etc. Halogen I think are certainly on the way out from what i have heard. To be honest I never really liked dimmers as the light that came out was often rather headache inducing, but that might have just been my bad eyes reacting at the early stages of the disease. Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Bob Minchin" < snipped-for-privacy@YOURHATntlworld.com> wrote in message
On Friday, June 21, 2013 10:22:07 AM UTC+1, Jim S wrote:

there is no demise.
snipped-for-privacy@care2.com writes

You can still get them in some privately-owned / family DIY shops - sometimes as sold as 'rough use' (or something similar).
However, around here, I reckon the powers-that-be are trying an underhanded way of killing off old-style bulbs. The mains voltage, which has for years been typically 230V (with occasional daily excursions to 225 and 235V), now almost never rarely below 240V - and is usually 245 to 250V. OK, it's in spec, but it will shorten the life of incandescents.
--
Ian

writes

I have just had my kitchen done up and had 10 Halers H2 Pro downlights fitted. Only 8.5 watts. Dimmable and with a 7 year warranty. Very impressed. JCC also make some with a 10 year warranty.