Diesel fuel injectors - Need to replace?

I have a 9 year old diesel VW Jetta which has only done 25,000 miles. One of the injectors failed recently when it was on the M40, and was changed by the AA. How likely are the other injectors to fail? Should I replace the remaining 3 injectors given that they cost about £280 each?

Reply to
Michael Chare

Does one injector on a diesel failing stop it running?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Do you know why it failed? Was it just blocked if so perhaps a injector cleaner added to your fuel would help prevent another failure.

Reply to
alan_m

Yes on this car it did. The AA had to remove the car from the M40 hard shoulder and take it to a service station where they fitted a replacement part.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Unfortunately I don't know why it failed. The AA said the car was prone to injector failures.

Reply to
Michael Chare

VW injectors must be the first ones that suck rather than blowing (*)

They're not reliable, and will require replacement far too early. However there's no good reason to spend money on doing all of them, as the failures aren't linked. Shopping around will get the price down a bit, and recon ones (which are just as good as new!) are about £120. DIY fit isn't hard.

(*) Of course not. We had diesel Mk2 Transits! Nothing's that bad.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

What was wrong with the York or 2.5 DI? I had a DI that went a couple of times around the clock. Its demise was its body!

Reply to
Fredxx

I have had three fail on my Jetta, it's an expensive hobby. My local garage say there is no rhyme or reason, it's pot lock :-( VW deny any responsibility, but these siemens injectors seem to have a high failure rate. It's a lot of money to lay out given that the replacements are as likely fail as the originals.

Reply to
Jim White

Cost benefit analysis suggests, no its unlikely considering the number of engines of this design in use. I'm of course not a driver but unless it is a fault which is actually going to be a danger, then its not an assume, since if it were the whole world would know about it by now!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The basic rule of thumb is that if the labour to replace one costs more than the other three, replace the lot. But if the AA replaced em by the roadside, they cant be that inaccessible.

AFAICT it just take one bit of random grit to ruin one, so its not wear related. Its just 'sometimes they just fail'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oil pump drive could shear through.

Mostly though it was the injection pump and injectors. They just didn't last and had to be rebuilt. It got so bad that we tooled up with an injector tester and were doing them ourselves (Which meant me, earning myself some pocket money).

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I wasn't aware of those issues. My only serious problem was the timing belt nicely stripped itself of it's teeth when trying to start. Cost me a pushrod and rocker. The replacement belt cost more!

Reply to
Fredxx