Determining price of land

Sorry if this is not the right place to ask the question but I couldn't find a better newsgroup.

The person who owns some land beyond my garden has said he is willing to sell the land to me but will not state an asking price.

He wants me to make an offer.

How do I work out how much to offer him? I don't want to ask any Estate Agents because if they find out the land is for sale they'll start offering it to their clients and I'm in a bidding war.

Are there any rough estimates available for different areas =A3x per square metre etc.

Thanks.

Reply to
Farouq

Work out what it's worth to you. Offer him substantially less than that. Come to some sort of arrangement.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

What is the land? Where is it? How big?

Agricultural land in England and Wales goes for £2k-£8k per acre.

Reply to
Grunff

If it helps, a neighbour of mine recently purchased some universtiy land which backed on his garden. The plot was probably 10m x 60m and he paid =A310k.

Reply to
sarjo

The person who owns some land beyond my garden has said he is willing to sell the land to me but will not state an asking price.

He wants me to make an offer.

How do I work out how much to offer him? I don't want to ask any Estate Agents because if they find out the land is for sale they'll start offering it to their clients and I'm in a bidding war.

Are there any rough estimates available for different areas £x per square metre etc.

Thanks.

Are you looking to build on the land? More importantly is it likely someone could get permission to build on it? And if not you then how much is it worth to stop someone else building on it?

Reply to
TonyK

|Farouq wrote: |> Sorry if this is not the right place to ask the question but I couldn't |> find a better newsgroup. |> |> The person who owns some land beyond my garden has said he is willing |> to sell the land to me but will not state an asking price. |> |> He wants me to make an offer. |> |> How do I work out how much to offer him? | |Work out what it's worth to you. |Offer him substantially less than that. |Come to some sort of arrangement.

I got a price from the local estate agent on the basis of what the land would increase the value of my house by. If the land is not at present garden, you may need change of use planning permission.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

If you ask an estate agent to make a valuation (which I think will cost around =A3100), then you are his client and any advice he gives you is confidential.

Get a written valuation, base your offer on that valuation.

If it's a small amount of money, I would offer to pay your neighbours legal costs on top as a sweetener.

Ultimately it comes down to what it is worth to you and what you are willing to pay for it.

Reply to
dom

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 12:23:12 +0100, "TonyK" wrote: For small plots the right price is whats its worth to you or someone else .

Does it add to the house value or eae of selling, give better access, give you a possible building plot, protect you from unwanted development on adjacent plots ....

Remember to add in legal costs on both sides and seller will need mortgage company permission if appropriate.

Robert

Reply to
invalid

Browse the internet on land for sale in your area give or take an acre or two and the amount of collected info you could work on this basis.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby