delivery through upvc window

I did say 'via' not 'by'.

I thought that they meant different things ;-)

As to the newness of the item - my neighbour's sofa was whole before it was dismantled and re-built, and I understand that the OP is expecting his sofa to arrive in one lump. So, dismantling it outside the house to get it in is no different from to dismantling it inside to get it out. :-)

Reply to
Richard

How many cups of tea did they have?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Cut it up into bits small enough to go in the bin bag or wheelie bin... =

Got rid of two sofas here that way(*), we kept the wood to burn but the =

stuffing, covers, springs etc all went into a bin bag per sofa.

(*) Our council wants =A315 for up to 3 "bulky items". What really pisse= d us off the other week was after we paid our 15 quid for a couple of old matress's to be taken they where just thrown into the back of the normal= collection wagon on the the normal round. Next time we'll just stuff out= and see if they go anyway. I can't really see the council and private collection firm being clued up enough to be able to collect 2 mattress's= from X, this from Y, the other from Z etc and leave anything else for th= e whole round.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Dunno about your council, but my council says that bonfires don't count

- it's only domestic fires.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

ha! thanks for all the responses. I only need to remove the glass. Looking at it, if I identify the beading correctly (black, thin rubber strip around all four sides, no bigger than 5mm wide) - that can't be the only thing keeping in the 2 panes of glass? is the beading solid or flexible?

is it the stuff in this picture that is immediately adjacent to the glass and the aluminium centre?

the beading is removed does the unit (2 pieces of glass and aluminium centre) literally come out into the room?

hmm. looking a this pic:

we referring to the beading in this picture - i.e. the white strip that covers the black strip? do i remove the black strip first and then the white strip? that seems a bit more reasonable..

i may have a go on a smaller window first. and i think i may invest in a pair of suction cups or similar.

cheers,

Simon

Reply to
drsabrown

In article , Arthur2 scribeth thus

So he is!...

and worth a look/listen!...

tony sayer

In article , tony sayer scribeth thus

Yoof of today don't know what their a missin!...

tony sayer

No the black seal is fixed to the white beading. Get your thin stiff and wide blade into the gap between the bead and the frame at the center of the longest section and prise it out.

Once the beads are out the whole sealed unit should come out, beware they can be surprisingly heavy. Also not the position of any wedges or spacers between the sealed unit and frame.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Usually that whole triangular section forms the bead, and includes the black bit. IME they're usually quite easy to get out with a paint scraper tapped into the edge furthest from the glass. Once you have one section out, the rest are easy. Considerably more difficult getting them back in though. You really need a plastic mallet to whack them with

Reply to
stuart noble

> are we referring to the beading in this picture - i.e. the white strip

No plastic mallet is needed(unless you want to look like a pro) a piece of

2x2x5 wood and a hammer,place wood on sealing strip so that its sticking out away from the glass slightly then tap the wood hard with the hammer.
Reply to
George

No need for suction cups,just a pair builders gloves.

The advantage of having a go yourself means that in the future should a DG pane of glass get broke you will be able to replace it yourself at the cost of purchasing a new glass unit. ;-)

Reply to
George

Thanks again everyone - really useful.

Cheers,