New sealed unit for UPVC window?

So I have a UPVC window containing a frosted glass dbl glazed unit; and I want to change it to normal transparent glass. How do I go about this? Are all UPVC windows different? I can't see any way of getting them apart to access the unit, and am a bit mystified. It's the same problem as if the window was broken, so surely there's a way? Or am I expected to have a whole new window installed?!!

David

Reply to
Lobster

It's

No you don't have to have the whole window replaced. A double glazing company will come out and measure up the unit that is in there and make you a replacement to fit. It has to be measured and made to the exact size or it won't fit the frame (they are all different sizes and thickness) I recently had a sealed unit replaced in one of my french doors, they replaced it with a sealed unit with a cat flap fitted, it cost me £120 and I still have the original unit so if I sell the house and the new buyer doesn't have a cat they can put the original back in.

Angela

Reply to
Angela

To remove the DG unit, you will need to remove the beading. Some windows have removable external beading, most have removable internal beading. The beading snaps into place, and can require some violence to remove.

Once removed, measure up the DG unit as per Angela's advice (don't forget the thickness), and get a local DG company to make you one. You'll be surprised how cheap it is.

Reply to
Grunff

Something like a scraper can help to get beading off... the fitters who did ours had no problems popping it off with one (worrying, as its external beading on ours) but the dumb-ass "foreman" who got to replace a faulty glazed panel decided he could do it with a screwdriver and damaged the frame in the process... they never did sort that out, and it looks a little tatty now its "chewed" in places...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

your upvc window may be internally glazed or externally glazed. from my understanding this is basically relevant to where the fixing bars are.On an internally glazed upvc window the fixing bars will be inside, with the continious rubber seal of the glazing unit on the outside. Vice versa for the externally glazed unit. By itself the double glazed unit should be replacable.

Reply to
dave

Most nowadays have external beading, but removing it won't release the sealed unit. The unit will be held in place with window tape on the inside, which you have to cut round with a knife. Then you'll have to clean off the window tape residue from the frame (which I imagine will be rather fiddly), and use new tape when installing the replacement unit.

BTW, if the window looks out over a neighbour and has been frosted since the house was built, you might need planning permission to change to clear glass. Two new houses near me had such a restriction applied to them at the planning stage in response to neighbours complaints about being overlooked.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Really? I was led to believe that external beading was a no-no for security reasons, and that everyone was moving to internal.

FWIW, our windows, fitted 2 years ago, have intenal beading and no window tape.

Reply to
Grunff

replace a

Mine has external beading but the sealed unit itself was held in by double sided sticky security seal and it was a b****r to get out!

Angela

Reply to
Angela

Thanks for all the tips everyone; I'll go back and have another fiddle!

No, shouldn't be a problem; the frosting was because the room was a bathroom, and won't be for much longer!

David

Reply to
Lobster