What can I get out of Pella?

Hi,

I ordered a $2000 bay window from Pella and it came an 1 1/4" to wide so it won't fit into the rough opening without cutting cinder block, extending head beam, etc. Pella's saying that all they can do is re-manufacture the window. I argue that I had a crew idling for for two days, and my family had gone to a hotel for a night (all true). Furthermore, the mistake delays the project completion by six weeks and forces me to have a hole in my house in mid-January rather than now when it's mid 50's out.

What's the best strategy getting money out of Pella and what's the most I can go for here?

Thanks,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Fude

If you expect anything more than a corrected window, you will need a good lawyer. My guess is that even with a lawyer, you won't prevail, and most good lawyers won't even take your case.

Reply to
salty

Was it their mistake, REALLY, or the fault of whoever did the measuring and provided the specs?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Get a concrete saw and fix the opening. YOU must have given them the wrong measurements. I have never seen a custom window maker make a mistake.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

Their mistake, REALLY. Why would you do that, Pella employee?

Reply to
Aaron Fude

A crew idled for 2 days, you paid them, why. I cant believe you went to a hotel for a lousy bay window. You can get a billion dollars, persue it to the supreme court.

Reply to
ransley

Pella has accepted that it was their mistake.

Reply to
Aaron Fude

Sounds as if you will have a bay window to sell on Craigslist to help with the heating bills to me. I would have sent the crew home after the measurment of the window that didn't fit myself. That's just me though. Cheap!

Reply to
RLM

What does the disclaimer on the receipt say?

Reply to
norminn

I paid them the cancellation fee. Family went to a hotel the night before because the crews started at 7am and we have a small child. It's spelled "pursue".

Reply to
Aaron Fude

LOL! What, were you worried they were going to stuff your child in a lunchbox or something?

It's a window for crying out Pete. Keep the kid in another room or (better) let him sit there and watch; kids love stuff like that. Hell, take him to a library or a park or something.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

IMO the only way that you have a chance of getting anything is to see if they will adjust the price if you enlarge the opening and use the existing window. Heck, you could well come out ahead if you make a deal with them and use the current window. If they replace the window they are already out that cost so don't expect anything else from them. OTOH, I would bet that they would make you a good deal on the existing window. All of the above is "IF" it was truly their mistake.

BTW - who is going to pay to ship the current one back and the new one to you?

Don

Reply to
IGot2P

In that case plead your case pointing out all the NEGATIVE free publicity you are giving them on the internet. But first get past the drone at the low level who answers the phone. Or go to the local outlet. BUT you better have a copy of the piece of paper you provided with the dimensions

Reply to
LouB

Negative publicity? He already said that Pella readily agreed to make him a new window. Sounds like a great company that does the right thing. Some companies would have just told him that the mistake wasn't theirs, and left it at that. He's not hurting Pella in the least here.

So far, Pella looks very good and the original poster looks like someone out to try and take advantage of a situation.

Reply to
salty

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 12:05:34 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote Re Re: What can I get out of Pella?:

+1 on that.
Reply to
Caesar Romano

I have had trouble with Pella before. I ordered a door to fit an 85 inch opening and the door came in 83 inches and the expander was too short. Called and talked to represenative she stated for a 85 inch door it would be 83-13/16 high. Ordered door it came in 83 same as before. They custom make but will deduct from sizes to what they have. Was at big box store and he could not explain the trouble so we just made the door smaller to stop the problems. Pella did not charge for the extra doors that were wrong.

Reply to
teshaf

Best thing is to cover hole with plywood when window cones in change out and stay home.

Reply to
teshaf

Job done. The crew likely had tools on the truck, and the window would have been done by lunch time or sooner.

Reply to
Oren

And should replace it free of charge. But if you are contemplating suing for damages you'll need to prove somehow that this damged you which being of sound mind and mental faculties, frankly I just don't see.

Reply to
Jeff The Drunk

I priced windows from a local company which manufacturers and installs. I said I might install them myself. They said they get SO many wrong measurements from do-it-yourselfers that they'd stop by to check my measurements AT NO CHARGE just to save everyone some aggravation.

It was perfectly reasonable to theorize that your measurements might've been off.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom