Decorators daily rates?

I don't do a lot of decorating for clients, doesn't seem to be any money in it.

I tend to do those 'little jobs', last thing I painted was a 10 x 8 kitchen ceiling & that was part of a list of other jobs.

Locally I've found decorators with a daily rate of £70!

How can you run a business at those rates?

Minimum wage for an 8 hour day is almost £50, so they could get a better overall deal working for McDonalds.

Is this just a local thing? What are rates like elsewhere?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Are they proper businesses or just people working for cash in hand? Do they do 8 hours work every day?

BTW the minimum wage of £6.19 x 8 = £49.52 is not a take home pay of £49.52

Reply to
ARW

In Leicester: Painters, £80/day is typical, £100 if they are quick at it. Proper decorators, then £120, but so much competition around that I dont think many actually get that.

TBH, it isnt a really skilled job (yes, I know there is a difference between a trained painter and a labourer), but anyone can emulsion walls and get a reasonable result, so the lower end of the market is going to be inhabited by lower wages. Anyone any good will want to do a quality job, and wont charge £70/day.

Reply to
A.Lee

Reply to
Mr Pounder

I suppose that it depends if the alternative is nothing.

As SE you aren't going to get anything off the dole and I personally doubt that a 30-something turning up at McDs would get the job.

If you can keep yourself fully "employer" at that rate you can turn-over

15K, and I doubt that the tax-man will see much of that.

And I bet that they aren't insured either

tim

Reply to
tim.....