Decent smart device control app ?

Following on from my purchase of a Smart thermostat last year, it's now going to need to earn it's keep a SWMBO will need to control it when I'm out at work. (We'll quietly forget she could message me to get me to do it from work ......).

The app the 'stat manufacturers (MOES Home ?) provide/use is "Smart Life" from the Play Store, which has slowed my (and SWMBOs) phone down by a hell of a lot. Fuck knows what it's doing.

Just wondered if anyone else has a recommendation for a Smart App ? Seems they are relatively standard these days ?

I was hoping to repurpose a 2013 Android tablet I had, but it's just too old.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Not sure about "standard" there's a lot of "our devices only talk to our app2, there is z certain extent to which you fin that "Moes Home" is just rebadging someone else's kit, in this case you might have results using the Tuya Smartlife app.

If you'll allow a eavesdroping device into your home, your wife might be able to ask Alexa etc to turn on the heating without a phone/tablet.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Oh fu*k.

There is.

Deleted.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

I believe Moes is indeed using the Tuya platform so that would be one to integrate with. I think there's an Australian app which talks the Tuya API and is slightly more flexible than Tuya Smart Life... ah, it's called Brilliant.

Ranty video:

There are ways and means to use Tuya stuff with Home Assistant, but that's a different kettle of rabbits.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I know sweet FA about apple stuff, but if her iPad is set as a "home hub" then talking to Siri instead of Alexa may indeed be possible.

All you have to figure out is if/how to get homekit/homehub to talk to tuya, maybe you need to buy a bridge, see? sweet FA ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I quite enjoy Hibbert's ranty videos ... oooh the zigbee! corporate greed!

Reply to
Andy Burns

Theo explained on 02/04/2021 :

I have just tried installing than on my Iphone, the installation ask that you enter your phone number, then they are supposed to text a four digit code - except the text and code failed to arrive.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.
<snip>

;-)

I have just moved my dev Home Assistant rig from the slimline Shuttle PC onto an OdroidN2+ SBC.

It's only supposed to draw 2.2W idle (5 max) but only time will tell if it's better than the RPi or PC hosts.

I'm also waiting for some more stock of a better Zigbee coordinator dongle as the one I have is cheap and may be a bit 'underpowered'.

I could re-flash them and use them as routers though.

When the mSATA drive turns up I can then rebuild the Shuttle into my main TVHeadend server (replacing the two Topfields). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Given that its aussie, did you prefix with +44 ?

Reply to
Andy Burns

No, it prefixed with +44 automatically. I assumed it read my IP?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Can I ask why you need to manually alter the thermostat?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Who said I did ?

Reply to