Damp Proof Membrane ..... ?

I have recently had all the walls in the kitchen plaster boarded, a small gap was left at the bottom and then the plaster board was skimmed.

I have been advised because it is a concrete floor, to put a damp proof membrane down first then some laminated floor underlay and upon this put the cushion flooring.

My question is this. I am about to put some skirting board on, so do I put the skirting board on and then lay the membrabe up to it, or do I put the membrane down and let it come up the wall a little and then fix the skirting.

Your views gratefully accepted.

-- troubleinstore Email address in posting is ficticious and is intended as spam trap Personal mail can be sent via website.

my auction items on eBay & eBid:-

troubleinstore

I'd put the DPM down, and then up behind the plasterboard, using the skirting to hold it in place. Up to a point, the more the better.

Rick "1000 quid worth of damp proofing platic in my selfbuild" Dipper

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Without being able to see the job eye-to-eye, I'd say: ss long as there is no way that dmp can get into the plasterboard, then it doesn't matter, does it? But since you have left a gap under the plasterboard, can you not feed the damp membrane into the gap - i.e., under the plasterboard? This would put an extra barrier between the damp-prone floor and the plasterboard. I know you have a gap there presumably for that purpose, but small gaps have a nack of becoming bridged after a few years, so the membrane could prove a worthwile extra line of defense, so to speak.

PG

Reply to
PG

Thank you for your comments. The gap below the plasterboard is about 1.5" so I don't think it will get bridged. After installing new kitchen units, I then move onto the utility room, decorate the upstairs and then hopefully, sell this place and move to somewhere a little bit more friendlier.

Reply to
troubleinstore

If you're starting with no floor or skirtings, you put the skirtings on after the floor is layed. I would push the membrane under the gap at the bottom of the plasterboard, as far as it can, ideally to meet the original wall.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Fit the skirting after you've laid the floor covering.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Fold the dam so it runs up the wall a little, in an ideal world it would be folded in on op of the DPC ... but not possible on an existing building. You can buy a laminated flooring underlay with a built in DPM .... one such is Quickstep Comb.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Lat bit should have been "Quickstep Combifloor" ..... spellchecker culled the word.

Reply to
Rick Hughes