Transco - leak from new meter

Came back from hol to be greeted by neighbour "There's a smell of gas near your gas-meter cupboard" Entire gas installation is 15-years-old DIY, but meter was changed a few months back, so it seemed leak was more likely to be in their work than mine and I rang Transco.

"Look" said the mechanic - who all credit to them arrived an hour later

- "The test point screw on the meter has been left loose"

What does it say in Mr Sirett's excellent FAQ at

If the test is satisfactory, remove the gauge, replace the test point screw, and restore the gas supply. Then test the test point for leakage with leak detection solution.

Perhaps Ed could sell copies to Transco?

Ah well ... not smoking is even better for my health than I thought.

Reply to
roger

That is indeed correct. It is advisable to test the test point screw as this will be the final disturbed joint after testing for soundness using a water guage on a domestic installation. In fact as long as the screw is nipped up with a small screwdriver,its extremely rare for them to leak. Hence,it may well have not been tightened up. No one is perfect but if it helps,there is no way that a hazardous situation could have occurred with such minor leakage.

In all my years as a gas chap, it has been extremely rare to enter a premise with a reported gas leak and detect anything approaching

100LEL in the general atmosphere save for extreme conditions i.e severe rupture of adjacent low/medium or high pressure gas main,where ,in such circumstances,adjacent properties would have long been evacuated or possibly blown away anyway !.

joe

Change the 900 to 670 in the return email address to reply

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

What a load of old tosh. Any leagage of gas is a potential hazzard

-- troubleinstore Email address in posting is ficticious and is intended as spam trap Personal mail can be sent via website.

my auction items on eBay & eBid:-

troubleinstore

Only if it can reach explosive or flammable limits. If the leak is small enough, and the container ventilated enough, then there will not be an explosive atmospher in the box, and the escape point will not directly support a flame.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Being alive is a potential hazard.. Change the 900 to 670 in the return email address to reply

Reply to
tarquinlinbin