Screwfix triple detector

Hi,

I received a Screwfix triple detector (part number 16093) for Christmas.

This is suppose to detect pipes, joists and cables, however it's performance is abysmal. I can usually detect a cable in a block and plaster wall when I know it is there, however the setting is so fussy and varies so much across the width of a wall that I would have no confidence in the results if I didn't already know what was in the wall

- i.e. it is going to be bugger all use for finding a random diagonal cable that a previous owner might have installed. Finding joists is a similarly hit and miss affair with it struggling to find the ceiling joists through a layer of artex and plasterboard..

Do I have a faulty one or is it just a crap model.

Thanks, Martin.

Reply to
Martin Wiseman

Sounds like mine ...............

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

In message , Rick Dipper writes

I'll second that, mine is just about adequate.

Reply to
Bill

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 15:34:40 GMT, Bill strung together this:

I haven't got one at all as they're all crap unless you spend a fair few quid on a US Zircon brand detector or a few hundred on the rather good Bosch one in the UK.

Reply to
Lurch

I bought a plasplugs branded one about 15 yrs ago from Argos and it was totally useless. The only possible effective mode it might have had was to use it to bash a hole in the wall and see if there was cable there. I think this is the common experience of cheapy cable/pipe/stud detectors.

Sam

Reply to
Sam

Reply to
mykbab

My mates wife just bought him a B & D laser level with built in detector. The detector is utter S.... and the laser level, isn't even inline with the cross lines in the middle. What a pile of junk for 40+ quid ,

-- troubleinstore Email address in posting is ficticious and is intended as spam trap Personal mail can be sent via website.

my auction items on eBay & eBid:-

troubleinstore

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 18:26:07 -0000, "troubleinstore" strung together this:

I could have guessed that without ever seeing one other than in the advert on TV.

Reply to
Lurch