Screwfix triple detector

Hi,
I received a Screwfix triple detector (part number 16093) for Christmas.
This is suppose to detect pipes, joists and cables, however it's performance is abysmal. I can usually detect a cable in a block and plaster wall when I know it is there, however the setting is so fussy and varies so much across the width of a wall that I would have no confidence in the results if I didn't already know what was in the wall - i.e. it is going to be bugger all use for finding a random diagonal cable that a previous owner might have installed. Finding joists is a similarly hit and miss affair with it struggling to find the ceiling joists through a layer of artex and plasterboard..
Do I have a faulty one or is it just a crap model.
Thanks, Martin.
On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 13:03:05 +0000, Martin Wiseman

Sounds like mine ...............
Rick

I'll second that, mine is just about adequate.
--
Bill

strung together this:

I haven't got one at all as they're all crap unless you spend a fair few quid on a US Zircon brand detector or a few hundred on the rather good Bosch one in the UK.
--

SJW

I bought a plasplugs branded one about 15 yrs ago from Argos and it was totally useless. The only possible effective mode it might have had was to use it to bash a hole in the wall and see if there was cable there. I think this is the common experience of cheapy cable/pipe/stud detectors.
Sam

think
any of them
myk

My mates wife just bought him a B & D laser level with built in detector. The detector is utter S.... and the laser level, isn't even inline with the cross lines in the middle. What a pile of junk for 40+ quid , -- troubleinstore Email address in posting is ficticious and is intended as spam trap Personal mail can be sent via website. http://www.tuppencechange.co.uk/contact.php
View my auction items on eBay & eBid:- http://www.tuppencechange.co.uk/auction-idx.html
On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 18:26:07 -0000, "troubleinstore"

I could have guessed that without ever seeing one other than in the advert on TV.
--

SJW