Reliable Pipe Cable / Detector

Hi,

I am looking to buy a reasonably priced ( < =A350) pipe and cable detector. My main interest is in finding pipes/ live cables beneath a chipboard floor. If it can work through carpet as well that would be even better. For the future it would be great if it would work with pipes / cables in plastered / stud walls.

Any recommendations? My last experience with them was about 4 years ago with a cheap Screwfix model that was totally unreliable.

Thanks, BraileTrail

Reply to
BraileTrail

Bosch DMF 10, a little over your budget - but good (I think near- foolproof) at shallow pipes and cables.

Claims to also be a timber stud detector, but not so good at that.

Pipe and cable is click, wave and scan, idiot-proof.

Stud detection is a bit more fiddly and can give false readings.

Reply to
RubberBiker

I'd agree - never tried one that was reliable on live cables. Stud and pipe finding ok.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My experience with about 4 different makes convinced me they are all totally unreliable.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

My Zircon triscanner pro seems to do the job in most cases (although it can't find studs under foil backed plasterboard alas). Metal detection is quite good. It won't find plastic pipes though!

Reply to
John Rumm

Another vote here for that model (as recommended to me here by one A Hall): the third such item I've owned and the only one that's been half decent.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Unfortunately that model is now discontinued, but they do a Multiscanner Pro which seems to be a similar device. Both the recommendations, the Bosch & Zircon are above my price point, but not by much. :)

Thanks, BraileTrail

Reply to
BraileTrail

I'm surprised you didn't mention the angle grinder. One of those would be good at detecting pipes and cables. The former would get you wet and the latter will announce itself with a loud bang :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

In message , Dave writes

A good cheap option too as I already have an angle grinder! ;)

BraileTrail

Reply to
BraileTrail

I tried a few, the Bosch DMF10 does work reasonably if...

1 - Hold it one hand & place other hand on wall. This seems to reduce false readings re loop.

2 - Use it for data-point and build them up. Mark them on a removeable masking tape and build up a picture in case of false readings (see 3 & 4).

3 - Wall does not use wire mesh. Some houses use wood from floor joist to ceiling, then block infill, then wire mesh over to prevent plaster cracking, this obviously gives hilarious results when scanned with a tool.

4 - Bricks are not high in magnetite or "whatever it is". A few of my bricks drove the Bosch DMF tool mad near sockets/lights, indicating others wires running where they certainly did not (I could examine the wall with plaster removed later on both sides). No potential measureable to ground from the area (out of curiosity).

If your house predates 1987 then wiring accessory / ceiling / wall- corner zones did not exist. You may find cables are diagonal according to "the shortest path possible" due to cost. That can still apply as far as 2009, since new built are not necessarily inspected by anyone.

I suspect the only that really works is by Fluke. Transmitter on the cable, Receiver in your hand, walk around the house. They are about =A3209-229 but you could try a hire store (online or local) or buy/resell on Ebay essentially paying the spread between the two (check the Completed prices to know whether that is viable, often it is cheaper than hiring if the market is *liquid*).

Reply to
js.b1