Daily Wail plastic bag campaign

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember nafuk saying something like:

I don't believe that, even if you read it on the internet. And it's 'litre', we are not bloody Americans.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Works in France from what I saw.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Well the bags fall apart in a couple of years. They certainly don't hang about for the 1000 years that is been touted in the media. Think about it

13 billion bags given out a year, even if 0.1% of em were loose we'd still be knee deep in the things.

Can't do that here we have to use the, council supplied, blue bag. Some do get used in small bins and for emptying the Dyson.

Why is the shopping bagged at all? When I see them picking in store it's all going into plastic trays no need for bags, at least not for many items.

Agreed, terrible packaging but I guess it's to combat tea leaves.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Your breakfast cereals still come in waxed paper bags inside the box? Ours have been in grey translucent plastic film bags for years...

This particular bit of media certainly is, 1000 years in the enviroment for a plastic bag I don't think so. Useless media hype but you can't tell the population the *real* truth of the situation the world is facing and how precariously perched on a razor sharp knife edge modern society is. There would be mass hysteria and panic.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Perhaps I have missed it, but no one has mentioned the Ireland 5p a bag law. Yes the number of bags have reduced (slightly), but there has actually been more plastic used as the bags are stronger. The same applies to the "reusable" bags so strongly touted as being good. Politicians are incapable of reasoning out the consequences of their laws. What do they think will happen when they start charging us for collecting our rubbish by the kilo? I bet that people will drive down the road with their rubbish in bags and throw them out of their cars when they consider it safe. Also there will be lots more bonfires blackening the skies as others burn their rubbish.

Reply to
Broadback

I heard it on a Radio 4 environment program. Why don't you believe it. Purifying the water, making the bottles, transporting the bottles, distributing the bottles etc. I suspect they did not include workers driving to the factory and building the factory etc. etc.

Reply to
nafuk

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 12:35:10 +0000 someone who may be The Natural Philosopher wrote this:-

Your distortion tells us nothing about what the campaigner is campaigning about.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 15:39:35 +0000 (GMT) someone who may be "Dave Liquorice" wrote this:-

What you think is slightly interesting. However, for the moment I'll stick with the opinion of those who have studied the subject in detail. Their opinion is at least 500 years, but probably rather more. Accelerated tests of this sort are common in many branches of engineering, they are not perfect but give the best possible indication of the life of something that we can manage.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 03:26:30 -0800 (PST) someone who may be nafuk wrote this:-

Given that you are replying to a message from me which contained rather more than one sentence, I don't think I can be properly accused of this.

Debatable. I could have used even more sentences to say that meat can be put in a compost bin which is sealed against rats, even though such bins are not generally available. It is rather easier to say that such things can be put into a green cone and digested. An examination of the web site I indicated will show how they prevent rats from entering.

Reply to
David Hansen

No, and quite where abuse fits into all of this, one wonders.

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 16:27:17 +0000 someone who may be Broadback wrote this:-

It is mentioned in the article.

Incorrect, unless one has an interesting definition of what is a slight reduction. The average number of bags per shopper per year went from 328 to 21. However, that number has been going up recently which shows people cannot rest on their laurels.

Actually the usual claim of the plastic lobby is that items are now wrapped in an incredible number of layers of plastic.

Reply to
David Hansen

That's because they aren't campaigning about anything meaningful or worthwhile other than to other earth mothers.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Correct. They are, after all, people who couldn't get a proper job.

Reply to
Huge

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Broadback saying something like:

Actually, t's reduced a helluva lot.

Not so. You have the option of taking the cheap s**te 'free' bags and paying the 25c tax, or taking a stronger multi-use bag at ~50c inc tax.

They actually work. My bag aquisition has plummeted in the past years and I've hardly bought any more than a score of bags in the past 12 months.

There's a load of truth in that. Rural roads in Ireland are littered with chav scums' rubbish. The threat of prosecution didn't seem to do much so a Chav Scum Waste Squad was set up; unfortunately, not to waste the chav scum, but to rummage through their rubbish in search of identifying documents. Incredibly it's been quite successful.

Ah well, that's so. If you increase the cost of rubbish collection more people will burn it. Here, there's an anti-bonfire piece of legislation which was probably brought in by the lobbying of the waste collection companies, but disguised by being presented as "Good for the Environment", and as a result was fervently backed by the Green Wankers. The result is that most evenings as you drive around you can smell rubbish being burned in backyards.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

More likely that they got a whiff of Marks and Spencer's announcement (which unsurprisingly occured the day after this story) that they were to start charging for bags.

ITN do it all the time, then when the announcement(s) are made shortly after, they gloatingly report, 'following *our* highlighting of this issue, blah, blah, blah' making it look like they have made it happen, when in reality, they couldn't give a toss.

Reply to
Phil L