Storing unripe uncut avocado in fridge: In plastic bag?

Googling reveals a variety of answers, but the 10,000 foot view seems to be to store uncut unripe avocados in the fridge for upto a week. Whether to store them in tightly sealed plastic bags or the fruit bin is not clear. I tried the plastic bag, but a film of condensation seems to build up, and I 'm not sure if this is the cause of the problem that I'm seeing. The wetne ss seems to create swaths of darker green on the avocado.

The problem occurs when I take the avocado out to ripen it in a paper bag o n the counter. It never really seems to tender up, and the dark green spot s turn into dark brown spots that are softer than the rest of the avocado. When I cut it, the flesh has a grayness that is pronounced at the core and emenates outward. Ugh, into the garbage it goes.

Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
andymhancock

I've always treated them like tomatoes: never refridgerate the whole fruit and never refridgerate the cut fruit unless it is already part of a dish.

I think refridgerators a too cold (somewhere around 50-55 deg F might be ok). I avoid buying them from vendors who I have learned store them in the cold.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

I think you're right about not refrigerating the avocados whole, at least w hile they are ripening. Though I've never really treated tomatoes that way . I'll experiment with how well they keep in the fridge after ripening. I 've been advised against refrigerating them in plastic bags.

Thanks.

Reply to
andymhancock