Plastic bag composting

With my very small yard and garden I don't have a lot of stuff to compost and I don't want to dedicate much space to the task either. Can plastic bags be used for composting?

Reply to
Blue

Better to pile your materials directly on the ground. A simple 3-foot diameter ring of chicken wire should last several years. You compost pile should be kept slightly moist.

Reply to
Phisherman

Composting requires air for good results. Even an above-ground, open air compost pile needs occasional stirring to bring fresh air into the center of the pile.

A lack of air results in anaerobic fermentation. The final product is slimy, foul smelling, and not suitable for many garden uses.

Reply to
David Ross

Something I'm after as well is continuuing to live without trash pickup. I find that easy except for green waste. But I wonder about having only one pile and continuously adding to it. Seems that it would never be "done". I would be willing to take on a small horizontal rotator but don't know of one.

Since my yard is so small and the activity of composting so close by, what would really get my interest is a horizontal rotator with an automatic photovoltaic rotation and connection to my sprinkler system to keep it moist but that would be as much of a toy as a serious tool.

Reply to
Blue

I've heard of this method but haven't tried it. If you don't mind a little hole in your yard, why not dig a small pit? Fill the pit with yard and kitchen scraps and when you get 4" from the top, cover with soil. Bugs in the soil will take care of it. Plant an annual on top as marker and let it be. Dig another pit somewhere else and do it all over.

Reply to
Pen

The more I think on this the more I think it is just what I want. Also, since I am planning a 2 x 2 ft retaining wall planter against a slumpstone wall, that may be just the place to gradually add the stuff. Thanks Blue

Reply to
Blue