Cyclists waste petrol

yes and when the lycra slips ....

Reply to
Peter Keller

Uses a microscopic amount of fuel if you have auto-stop.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Uses significant amounts getting back up to speed.

Take a 1 tonne car at 30 mph (13m/s). mks system makes the KE 500* 13^2 = 84,500 J or about 6cc of diesel at 33% efficiency.

Each stop is costing you about 1p

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That may be, but a different cost to sitting stationary.

Reply to
Bob Eager

And I laugh.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Anyone working for a council is an idiot, not sure how that happens, but they have no common sense at all. Round here, next to a primary school, they've rebuilt the entire junction (they claim for safety) and not put any kind of markings on it at all. Nobody knows which road has priority and I've seen several near misses and hooting of horns. One day some kids are going to be squashed and I hope a council moron gets jailed for manslaughter.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Well yes, sitting staionary in a garage costs nothing.

Sitting stationary because you have to give way to a cyclist costs a lot.

CVompared with going a steady 30mph

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Why on earth would you want to drive as slow as 30mph?!

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

You left a few out... When I'm walking in the woods I hate mountain bikers, unless I'm on a mountain bike of course. If I'm on my dualsport motorcycle, both are unacceptable. Horses are a pain in the ass no matter what my mode of transportation is. That goes double if I'm trying to ride the damn thing.

Oh, and quads suck. Until I get too old to deal with two wheels and then I guess a quad would be okay.

Reply to
rbowman

I really pissed off a horserider once. I was driving a very old Range Rover automatic which had a conversion to LPG. It very often misfired, made loud bangs, and changed gear without warning. I managed to cause a small explosion and a loud revving of the engine just as I passed a horserider coming the other way along a narrow country road. The horse shit itself, and so did the rider.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

I've been avoiding a project that's been going on all summer but I finally took that street. It's great! They replaced two straightforward entrance/exit ramps with two small roundabouts back to back. It's a hoot on a bike!

Unfortunately roundabouts are not native to this part of the country and people don't deal with them too well.

Reply to
rbowman

I did better than that... I was coming down a narrow road that went past a dude ranch on my Harley. Coming the other was was a herd of dudes on their docile refugees from a canning factory led by a genuine wild west cowboy. Shithead's horse had a nervous breakdown while the guests' nags barely roused from their stupor.

it doesn't take much to set them off. I've worked with horses enough to know most of them are a neurotic bundle of nerves. If the horse can't handle public roads, trailer it to a nice quiet horse trail someplace.

Reply to
rbowman

Roundabouts are brilliant, no lights to wait for when there;s nothing coming the other way, there's always someone using the junction.

And I love cutting in front of fuckwits who don't bother indicating right (in your case I guess left).

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Motor vehicles make you sit stationary at junctions. Bicycles only make you slow down between them.

Reply to
TMS320

Just as bad.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

I'm guessing you mean an R80RS?

R (series), 80 (800cc) RS (Renn/Reisesport (Sports tourer)).

I have a R80 (naked R series 800cc aircooled twin) and a R100RT (1000cc Reise (Travel) Tourer).

But seem to be selling well, because they are very competent? I think things like this go though several phases of complexity ... from yer basic points and carbs, to some electronics but little in the way of any intelligent diagnostics to the all singing computer controlled thingy that are relatively easy to diagnose / tune (with the right kit).

When the clutch splines stripped on my R100RT at 35K miles I borrowed a Yamaha 900 Diversion for a week with the thought of replacing the RT with such.

I only road the 900 Divvy twice in the week I had it and whilst it was very good at what it did, it wasn't what I wanted from my motorcycling (no 'character').

Cheers, T i m.

Reply to
T i m

Indeed. Horses on roads were fine, before the invention of the motor car.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife