curtains with PVCu windows

My curtain rails are all fixed to the wooden top of the window frames. If I replace the windows with PVCu, what is the best way to fix the curtain rails ? I know you can screw into PVCu, but the screws tend to work loose over time. A neighbour had the same issue and I did a quick fix for him putting battens on the ceiling, but it was only a temporary bodge - he probably kept it though ! Thanks, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Fit a batten along the top of gthe wall above the window and fit your curtain tracks to that, or the 'modern' way seems to be to use a metal pole attached at either end just beyond where the lintel would stop and the curtains all have metal rings fitted the slide along the pole.

Or do your windows go right up to the ceiling ?. In which case a picture would help.

Reply to
Andrew

I had that and the screws kept pulling out due to a section of wall at each end that was seemingly made of cheese.

I no longer have any problems since I shortened the pole slightly ... and screwed it straight into the Catnic! It's never going anywhere now.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

But interstitial condensation could have a nasty effect on your lintel unless you squirted some spray-grease into the hole to protect it.

Reply to
Andrew

We have curtains for tracks, so cannot use a pole - would need all new curtains ! There is a space above the window. Not sure what is behind it. Could be the back of the concrete (estate agent "stone" !) lintel if it goes full depth. Also someone pointed out that double glazing handles often stick out a bit, so might be an idea to fix to the ceiling a bit further out. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

You really don't understand physics do you.

Unless the plasterboard is foil-backed and the joints sealed with double sided tape and masticed all round the perimeter, water vapour will migrate through plasterboard and condense on any cold surface.

There are plenty of calculators on places like British Gypsum, Celotex etc web sites where you can input your construction and it will predict the likelyhood of interstitial condensation.

Reply to
Andrew

Plenty are just painted black these days.

Reply to
Andrew