Curtain Rails - Batons Y/N?

Hi all

Is it usual these days to fit wood batons and then screw curtain rails to these, or mount the rail direct on the wall? Does that depend on the curtain rail fixing, or maybe on the curtain itself?

There were batons in place when I started the refurb of hall/stairs/landing - these appeared to be a bit of rough roofing laith (1970s top quality construction again)! So I was glad to get rid :).

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

My preference would be to fix directly to the wall - but if the fixings will not be perfect due to the type of construction or presence of a lintel then I would use a batten screwed and glued to the wall. Putting a rail onto wood is easier and who knows, you may want to change rails at some time in the future and the batten makes it easier.

Reply to
John

Batons were the answer when folks didn't have an SDS to drill into the tough concrete lintel which often presented itself nastily at the exact point where the curtain pole mounts were to go.

Reply to
Adrian C

Yup, in the '60s we had to go in to concrete with an ordinary drill (no hammer) and a Rawltool! Just put in 3 angle brackets (made from old st. st. friction hinges) for a pelmet and made sure that the centre one was between the lintels - edge of smae is worse than middle. Dug out the piece of ~55yo wood and filled with cement-based filler; screws are really firm.

No batten, as the rail brackets are under the top of the pelmet - allows desired spacing from the wall.

Reply to
PeterC

Last few rooms I've decorated I've removed the batons and fitted new new rails/poles direct to the wall - looks less 60's/70's to me, no doubt batons are the "next big thing" for interior designers to bring back.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Just what I were gonna say.

Reply to