Blocked (kitchen) drain aftermath Q.

So it turned out the intermittent drain whiff SWMBO (and I !!!) have noticed these past few days is because the outside drain from the kitchen (waste pipe goes through wall into drain) was blocked.

Past tense, as I have managed to clear whatever it was with a good prodding with a piece of dowelling ... prod, prod, prod, sudden "flump" and the water just disappeared.

Have run a lot of water through, and will put some caustic soda down there last thing tonight to give it a chance to dissolve any gunge.

(Have 2x containers of more NaOH on order from Amazon).

Because the drain overflowed, there's some whiffy water surrounding it. This is under cover so it's less likely to be washed away (by the endless rain we seem to be having).

2 Qs.

1 - Now the source of the problem has been addressed - for now - will that water pretty quickly soak through the paving and leave no whiff ?

2- Having splurged whatever the blockage was, and put soda down, is there any more to do, or should it stay clear now.

I suspect we've been a little too cavalier with FOGs :( More care in future .....

Reply to
Jethro_uk

on 02/05/2018, Tim+ supposed :

Cut a section out of a 2 litre empty plastic milk container and pour all fat and grease into that, then leave it out side to cool and solidify. Either dispose of in in the bin, burn it, or add nuts etc. to turn it into fat ball food for birds.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Thanks for that - sounds like the start of a plan ... I like the idea of making our own fatballs, but in the past when I've put them out they never get touched.

Now mealworm, on the other hand ....

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Sadly we don't have lamb as much as I'd like :(

One thing which probably didn't help was switching to goose fat, rather than veg oil for roasties, as it *does* congeal.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Actually same for any fat and even oils. The detergent *temporarily* makes them miscible with water, but when that ends up sitting in a U-trap (sink or outside drain), it will separate out again, and slowly block them as it builds up.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel