New PVCu windows ...?

Can someone provide a step by step guide to measuring for new windows and fitting them?.

Would i be right in saying that i measure externally,brick to brick,left to right and top to bottom and take the least reading for height and width,knock a few mills off (how many??5 mills?) for allowance,get them made,take the old frames out,slot the new ones in,wedge,drill,fix,foam sealer,trim,mastic?. What sort of screw fixtures are normally used??

Its just that the way the trade is,i just cant trust any other company to do it and i might as well do it myself.

Anyone recommend a window manufacturer or even an installer in South Manchester??

ta

joe

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

You can also pick up ready made units at B&Q if your windows are a standard size. Works out miles cheaper than having them fitted by a window company. I think a 3'high by 18" wide was about £75, and a 3'x3' was £100. You are covered up to £10,000 losses if anyone breaks in through one of their windows as well I seem to remember.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith (UK)

Joe,

Your right brick to brick. If there is render over brick remove enough to measure brick to brick. Normally the window manufacturer will state how to measure a DIY install. I did most of mine. I removed the glass to reduce weight of the larger windows as I installed most except the largest single handed I had help with placing the patio door into position did the frame installation single handed.

That's my experience, others no doubt have more experience and tips.

MikeS

Reply to
MikeS

I'm just about to order a PVCu sash window from this company

popped the architrave off the old window and measured the frame.

this site has a few top tips

RT

Reply to
R Taylor

In message , tarquinlinbin writes

As an estate agent, I saw lots of jobs and was always impressed by a Joinery firm in South Manchester. However, when I eventually had a need for double glazing, and used them, I felt like I was ripped off.

The salesman told me that it would be sensible for me to have any reveals etc. Supported and plastered by my own tradesmen as they would charge a fortune. He suggested a "couple of hundred quid a flat" by my own tradesmen and, "much more than that" by his firm. In the end it cost between £600 and £900 per flat by my own tradesmen and the window suppliers did the easy part of the job.

Naive? Me? You bet your life!

But it wont happen again, and I wont be going back to them, or recommending them ever again.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

Altrincham Glass (Novapane?) in Broadheath.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

They knew what difficulty and/or cost they would have finding a plasterer;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Youve had personal experience of them...?

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

IMHO, you'll get best value by using stock sizes - like those from Screwfix. Altering an opening to fit the nearest size adds very little to the overall job - unless you went larger, width wise, and had to change a lintel.

The Screwfix one I bought had adjustable brackets at either side - the important thing was to sit it on an even bed. But full instructions were included.

I could send you a scan of these if it helps.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, but only for panes, not complete PVCu windows. If you order from the glass shops in Trafford, they will be built in Broadheath and have their stickers on. They are happy to deal with the public, but will be busy.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

Go to Wickes and get their order form/Info leaflet on made to measure windows. I followed this and had no problems

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race