Crossing the channel...

Jolly good, they've fixed that since my trip then.

Reply to
Tim Ward

Oh, there's lots you could point at, but I did try car commuting for a couple of years and gave it up as completely and utterly daft, and not sustainable in health and sanity terms, let alone the environment.

I now cycle ten minutes to work.

Reply to
Tim Ward

Hint: if you find yourself thinking of taking the local roads to avoid the one and only toll road in Jamaica, don't: the toll road is well worth it.

Reply to
Tim Ward

Ah. Germany is simply not ten minutes cycle away.

IN fact no job I have ever had was...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have had jobs that were a three second commute - how long it takes me to walk from my bed to my office desk at home.

Reply to
Tim Ward

Are we supposed to be impressed?

Reply to
Richard

Hopefully.

Reply to
Richard

Makes me wonder what about foreign drivers coming into the UK and going around that way?.

Who may not be that well informed re ways to pay?

Come to that do they still have Peage booths on the Autoroutes?..

Reply to
tony sayer

When I rent a car abroad I expect the rental company to take care of such things for me, usually by having a season ticket for the car, or alternatively by taking the charges from my credit card, but either way I don't expect to have to try to understand the system, set up accounts in advance, or anything like that. Do UK car rental companies provide such a service for their customers?

Reply to
Tim Ward

Yes, usually lots of them: 'telepass' for regular users with an account, often combined with debit/credit card payments, and few for cash payments

Reply to
DJC

Rather like the 'Vignette' for Switzerland. You can buy online ad get it before you leave GB, you can get one at the service area in before you reach the border, if you havn't got one then there is a lane for you before you can cross the border.

Reply to
DJC

Oh dear. Car commuting isn't sustainable? Have you told the millions who do it their world is about to end?

Sounds very much like a principle Rees Mogg would be proud of.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You don't have to sign up to anything to use it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It seemed to me to work exactly like the CC.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Is it beyond you that providing what would be like a junction slows up traffic when it is heavy? So why do that for the odd few idiots who feel they have to make some silly point or whatever?

I'd guess they could find a way. In the same way as they'd have to find a way to pay their VED and insurance.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , at 21:15:39 on Thu, 5 Jul 2018, DJC remarked:

It's less of an issue if there's a way to pay a bundle of Tolls in one go. The problem with the Dartford Toll (and the M6-Toll, and the Severn Toll, and the proposed A14-Toll, the Congestion Charge, and the proposed Cambridge congestion charge, and the Mersey Tunnels, and the Humber Bridge, and the Itchen Bridge and Pangbourne[1], and, and, and) is that each is a unique scheme you have to engage with separately.

If only there was a way to pay a lump sum annually for a universal pass. You could call it "Road Fund Licence".

[1] All places that I've had to, pay a toll in living memory; or have been proposed local to me.
Reply to
Roland Perry
[23 lines snipped]

117
Reply to
Huge

Yes, the French seem to have it mostly sorted, a Telepeage tag/bleeper works throughout France even though the autoroutes are operated by different companies in different areas.

Reply to
Chris Green

Did your list cover the one on some smallish road heading to Skeggy if coming in from the Nth (that daughter managed to find when she was my motorcycle pillion navigator). ;-)

Hehe.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m