Crossing the channel...

I've not had this problem with the Barclay's ones.

Reply to
Tim Streater

And Santander

Reply to
Robin

Don't be like that. You either did not know, or neglected to mention the fact. In future try to be more polite and thank the individual.

Reply to
Richard

You're going to drive non stop across the channel? Good on you.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I do - having driven across the bridge to get to Gatwick, and then flown to your destination, the web site won't let you pay from abroad.

Reply to
Tim Ward

Well, there's two reasons I didn't do that:

(1) I'd been able to pay in cash last time I'd been that way (2) Setting up an account is far too much faff for something I'm likely to do once a decade, if that.

Reply to
Tim Ward

NatWest in Guildford - not a large city (actually not even a city) - has recenty got new machines which are a lot better than the old ones.

Reply to
charles

And that at least is a reasonable complaint.

Reply to
Huge

That is rather boggling. Was it the current site/system?

Reply to
Robin

Nationwide BS have ATMs that accept cheques.

Reply to
Terry Casey

Or you can do it by phone while you are waiting to board your ferry or shuttle at Dover ...

Reply to
Terry Casey

But you can pay by phone when you get to Gatwick - or your destination.

And if you do set up an account you don't need to put money into it (as you did with the previous system) - it just takes the fee direct from your bank account. So no crossings - no payments.

Reply to
Terry Casey

but you should have head the best part of 2 hours at Gatwick. Plenaty of time to arrange payment before you leave the UK. You could also pay in advance - before you leave home.

Reply to
charles

In message , at

18:27:34 on Wed, 4 Jul 2018, Terry Casey remarked:

If you can navigate the user interface (having waited in a queue). I often see the less technically literate being hand-held through using the Nationwide ATMs by a roving staff member.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at

18:34:45 on Wed, 4 Jul 2018, Terry Casey remarked:

All of this is 100x the faff of simply throwing a couple of coins in a ban.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Um, if I'm at Gatwick I'm trying to get onto a plane, I'm not being side-tracked by someone else's desire for me to spend time on their bureaucracy. And even if you could pay by making a phone call this was before the days of abolition of roaming charges so I wasn't going to pay for an international phone call.

Quite likely true. But as I had no way of knowing that before my last crossing, and it's likely to be several years before I cross again, by which time any such account should have automatically closed itself, not very useful.

Reply to
Tim Ward

No idea. It was three or four years ago, I haven't tried it since.

Reply to
Tim Ward

you normally have at least an hour between passing through security and going to the departure gate. Yes, a phone call would cut down on your shopping time, but it wouldn't stop you getting on your plane.

Reply to
charles

Yeah, right. Find and queue and pay for a computer,l whilst at the same time queuing to check in or queuing for security or queuing to get some food ... FFS.

I say again, I didn't know before leaving home that I couldn't pay cash any more - how would I have known that?

Reply to
Tim Ward

That's inevitable initially. And I, too, was helped a couple of times, even when not actually needed.

Reply to
Tim Streater