Crossing the channel...

But loads of (older?) people still don't have smart phones and even if they do they don't want, know or trust themselves or the technology on things like that.

So, if they knew they could pay before (or after) crossing the river at a simple terminal, using cash even in the services I'm sure some would. They just want to 'get it sorted' rather than run the risk of getting a fine?

As I said, as long as it was out of the way of the main flow of traffic, why not?

It's like the airport parking at Stanstead. You can either pay at the machine using a card or pull over and pay at a machine (manned I believe).

Ok, I appreciate at the Airport there are physical barriers, unlike the Dartford crossing (now) but people do make mistakes and forget their card (or PIN) or find it doesn't work in that machine, don't have Internet access and there must be some basic / 'last resort' way of resolving the issue.

Can't you pay the Congestion Charge with cash in many sweetshops (PayPoints) up to some time later (24 hours or midnight the next day etc)?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Even the whole of Italy! Though it is not quite as end to end as France: separate payment for Swiss border to Como, then another charge to Milan, the all the way from Milan to Rome with one payment.

Reply to
DJC

You can pay in local shops.

Reply to
charles

Yes, I liked that, 40 minute crossing was lang enough for a break, but quicker than Dover, and no coach parties (I don't mind lorries). Boulogne is also ok for an overnight stop, so I could travel early evening and stay there rather than get as far from Calais as possible before stopping.

Reply to
DJC

And how would I know what number to phone? Was I supposed to remember it from a roadside notice? FFS.

Reply to
Tim Ward

You don't need a smart phone to call 0300 300 0120 (or +44 300 300 0120)

Reply to
Robin

Weren?t you a chemist who then moved into computers and information technology both fields where accuracy is important, perhaps you don?t care now you have retired.

I didn?t expect you not to, I added the information for others as much as anything as it is a common misconception that the M25 is continuous and you can drive continuously around it , you aren?t that important for me to worry about correcting you even if your ego thinks otherwise. Now get that sunburn that is making you bad tempered treated or FOAD you narcissist .

GH

Reply to
Marland

And the money is taken from their phone account?

How do they get the receipt to confirm they have actually paid (as many would want that as proof)?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Perhaps you've not experienced the queues with that old system. Others have. And lots used that crossing to go to work. So twice a day. I'd say they're more important than the odd visitor.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Far cheaper to fly. Especially if someone can pick you up at the other end.

Reply to
harry

In message , at 00:21:54 on Thu, 5 Jul

2018, "Dave Plowman (News)" remarked:

Regulars had the "Dart-tag", so no need to either have coins, or stop.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Why don't you phone the number and speak to people who are paid to answer all such tedious questions and explain about FJ numbers etc?

Reply to
Robin

Wrong side of bed again Robin?

You know this is a voluntary *discussion* group and you don't *have* to reply to anything, especially if you aren't in the mood (please)?

You see, it's obvious there are plenty of people here who for one reason or the other have never or rarely use the Dart crossing who may

*also* be interested in how all these things work. Are you suggesting that anyone vaguely interested in such things phone the numbers *you* provided and see what they get?

You seem to have all the answers, you educate us. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

The fact that you're incapable of making your own travel arrangements and apparently unwilling to do anything about is not our problem.

It is unlikely the world is going to be rearranged to suit you, so I suggest you get used to it.

Reply to
Huge

How do people as pathetically inadequate as you function?

Reply to
Huge

Accuracy, yes. Mindless pedantry in response to a joke, no.

Huge

Not as fast as the present system. The reason is was changed. If you actually used the crossing on a regular basis, you'd not be arguing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , at 11:17:44 on Thu, 5 Jul

2018, "Dave Plowman (News)" remarked:

Why would putting Dart-tag sensors in parallel to the ANPR cameras slow down the current regime?

Reply to
Roland Perry

So, doubling the operating costs? Very sensible.

Reply to
Huge

Where do you get the "doubling" from? And why does allegedly increasing the collection costs slow down the traffic.

Reply to
Roland Perry